Wirepath Surveillance 750 series dome IP cameras
  • Will this camera work with the Security Spy software?
    TIA
    BSP
    Los Angeles
  • So far we only have one Wirepath (SnapAV) camera on our list of supported cameras, however it's in the same product family so I would say that it's highly likely that a 750-series dome camera will also work. If you decide to go for this, please report back so that we can add it to our camera list.
  • Just installed six of these cameras (Wirepath 750 dome) configured your software and all cameras are up and running. I am using the 30 day demo. I am getting lots of green screen on all six images in the main video window. Three are on TL and three are on motion detect. Can you advise on how to get rid of the intermittent green screen coming from all cameras?
    TIA
    BSP
    Los Angeles
  • Hi BSP - green screens indicate a video decompression problem. The first thing to do is check for firmware updates for your cameras, as this often resolves such problems (you may have to contact SnapAV directly about this, as I can't see the firmware listed on their web site).

Secondly, the camera supports three codecs: JPEG, MPEG-4 and H.264. Please try all three in turn - you select these via the Format menu in the Video Device Settings window in SecuritySpy. You may also have to check that the format you want is enabled in the camera's settings pages (connect to the camera using a web browser in order to configure its settings). Which ones work reliably?

Finally, check your network. If the network isn't fast enough to keep up with the video data, this could be contributing to the problem. Use wired ethernet rather than WiFi where possible, and also try reducing the frame rates in order to ease the load on the network.

Let us know how you get on.
  • Ben, I switched to the JPEG codec, no more green screens! Also the CPU usage dropped from 160% to 50%. What will this do to the size of movies recored? Quality?
    Thanks.
    BSP
  • I had the same problem. I've taken to avoiding Wirepath cams (and anything from SnapAV). They mostly exist for installers/dealers to protect their price points as they are only sold through a dealer network. I'm ok with that, but the problem is that the support isn't very good and the low volume of sales means that there are often problems with 3rd party software, like securityspy. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to deliver solid h.264 at the price they are charging!
    Also, I've found that they are especially susceptible to static electricity issues, I've lost two wirepaths due to lighting/static, replaced them with another brand and have had now issues.
  • Good to hear they are working well in JPEG mode. In this mode, you can either choose to record the JPEG data directly to disk, in which case you will get very low CPU usage but rather large files, or you can get SecuritySpy to re-encode the video into another format such as MPEG-4, in which case you will get high CPU usage but small files. If you are OK with the large files, then the former is the better option - see the Optimising Performance section of the user manual for information on how to set this up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!