Skip to content

HTTPS and Remote Patrol

edited June 2014 in SecuritySpy
Hi,

I upgraded to the newest versions of SS and RP, and I tried switching to the HTTPS server. On my computer in SecuritySpy's Web Server Preferences, I unchecked the 8000 port, checked the 8001 port, then changed the port on Remote Patrol to 8001, got the query about accepting the certificate, and it didn't work.

Then I thought to go back and add "HTTPS://" in Remote Patrol before the IP address of my SecuritySpy server, and the RP lights went "green" indicating it found the server. However, on Remote Patrol the server entries now say "???" for the version and "0 cameras" instead of the two it should see.

I have two "servers" on Remote Patrol, one for my internal WiFi and one for an external dyndys address I use when out and about, so I tried both (and changed the port-forwarding on my router from 8000 to 8001), but still the same result.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks as always for the great products and kind help!

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Never put the HTTP:// or HTTPS:// in the Remote Patrol address field. The program does that automatically. Make sure you have Secure Socket Layer enabled in your Remote Patrol settings for any server using HTTPS.

Rob
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks, that sorted it! Didn't know to have the SSL turned on, but once I did it worked great. Thanks a million!!
  • edited June 2014
    Anytime. By the way, in order to view captured footage using HTTPS. you need a certificate from a certificate authority, not just the one built into SecuritySpy. Ben has a blog on the subject here: http://bensoftware.com/blog/purchase-ssl-certificate-securityspy/ This is an iOS requirement.