Skip to content

Cannot access the web server over mobile data.

I've just migrated SecuritySpy to another mac mini. Same configuration apart from the web server DDNS name, which I changed because the following error occured with the original immediately.

Now the iOS app will only connect over wifi. As soon as I flip over to mobile data I lose connection.

In Mobile Safari using https://********.viewcam.me:8001 over mobile data and wifi I get:

Safari cannot open the page.

The error was "The URL can't be shown"

I'm also now unable to change camera schedules in the iOS app

Comments

• Ignore this. Mysteriously, after much cursing and deleting and reinstalling the ios app 3 times, it all starts working.

Still can't change camera schedules in the app either on the phone or iPad. But I suppose I can live with that.

• Good to hear this started working again. The problem was most likely at the server end rather than the client end - perhaps there was a temporary interruption in the Internet service there, or some temporary problem with the port forwarding in the router.

In terms of the schedule problem, we can't reproduce this so could you please describe this further. What exactly happens when you tap on one of the camera mode icons (C/M/A) in the SecuritySpy iOS app to change schedules? Are you sure that the web account you are using on the iOS device has permission to change these schedules?

• edited August 2022

Thanks for the response Ben.

Re the iOS app purchased in March 2020. Nothing happens when touching the C/M/A icons. I've deleted and re-installed 3-4 times in the last couple of days. I can see the live streams ok but I cannot access any captures.

Touching the Captures icon bottom right on a fresh install asks me to upgrade for the £4.99 I've already paid back in 2020. The Restore option results in "No Cameras". This I think is the problem.

• This sounds like a permissions issue - in SecuritySpy on macOS, go to Preferences > Web, edit the particular web account you are using in the app, and make sure it has permission to access schedules and captures. It's easiest to make this an administrator account with access to everything.

• Yes I noticed those hadn’t been set this morning just after the above post. But It didn’t make any difference on the phone. However after once more deleting and reinstalling the iOS app I’m back in business.

All I did was move the MacOS instance from one machine to another using the backup and restore functions. Everything should have remained the same surely?

Anyhow thanks for listening, your attention is always appreciated.

• Yes, everything should have remained the same when transferring the settings, so I can't explain what went wrong here. There is no known bug related to this, but we will do some testing here to see if we can reproduce this issue.