Skip to content

New SSL function in V5 is to limited and flawed.

edited July 2019 in SecuritySpy
Hello!

The new version 5 got me really happy finally SSL with Let´s Encrypt out of the box. But i was very dissapointed.
First of all, i cant get it to work? you have to use the bullt in DDNS client! Whyy? Ok... still dont work.

I been using https://bensoftware.com/blog/purchase-ssl-certificate-securityspy/
guide for many years, it works great, but you have to renew and renew and you have to remember to do it. I have my own domain and use ex cam.domain.com. Does that mean the new service won´t work for me? Let people choose there own DDNS setup. Just generate the files for people who want it!

And i tried the bulilt in DDNS to function with SSL, cant get it to work. but i can generate my own encryptionkeys with Let´s encrypt, transfer them to my own server and so on, meaning that the something is broken with the bult in function.

Just me?

Comments

• The point of an SSL certificate is to prove authenticity of the server - i.e. to prove that the address you type into the browser corresponds with the actual server that is providing the response.

So, when you generate a certificate from an official certificate authority, they need the client to demonstrate control/ownership of the domain, in a process called Domain Validation (in this case, modifying the DNS to prove control over the domain name). This is why we limit this functionality to our own viewcam.me DDNS service: because this is the only domain that SecuritySpy has control over.

SecuritySpy doesn't know about your custom domain, and can't control it, so can't automatically generate a certificate for it. We want to make the HTTPS setup process as clean and automatic as possible, and the vast majority of our users don't have their own domain names, so we're therefore limiting these certificates to our viewcam.me DDNS service.

If you are having problems getting this working, there should be some messages in the log file that explain what is going wrong (File menu -> Open Log). If you need us to look into this for you, please email us and include this log file, as well as a screenshot of your Web settings in SecuritySpy.
  • One thing to check if you can't get this working: if you have supplied your own certificate, this will override the one that SecuritySpy automatically creates for you. So to use the automatic Let's Encrypt certificate, you will both have to set up a DDNS name, and remove your custom certificate from the ~/SecuritySpy folder.