Skip to content

Camera Settings | Frame rate question

edited August 2014 in SecuritySpy
Does the Camera Settings | Frame rate fps have to be the same as the "feed" from my Hikvision camera as set in the camera software? For instance, can I tell the camera to send 18fps and record at 15fps when motion is detected by Security Spy?

What would be good initial settings for the camera and SS? I'm running an iMac (late 2009, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) from two Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras. After I have this setup and running well, I plan on shifting the storage to my Synology DS213j NAS. I'm planning on adding a Mac Mini in the mix in the next few months that will be strictly dedicated for SS software (still with storage on the NAS).

Comments

• If you are using the No recompression options to tell SecuritySpy to capture the H.264 video data directly from the camera to the captured files, then SecuritySpy cannot change the frame rate of the video. Therefore, you should set the camera to send video in the frame rate that you want it to be captured (10 fps is a reasonable rate for general purpose video surveillance).

Telling SecuritySpy to capture the video directly in this way will result in the best quality and performance with the lowest computer CPU usage, so I would highly recommend that you do this.

As for the NAS, simply enable its AFP (Apple File Protocol) feature, mount it on your Mac, and then it will be seen by SecuritySpy as an available capture destination.
  • Great, thanks Ben.