Skip to content

Axis M3026 Web Clips

edited July 2014 in SecuritySpy
Setup: Mac Mini, fastest current model with SSD + 16 GB RAM, latest operating system. My internet connection is 60MB down, 15-20MB up.

I'm using two SecuritySpy connections for one camera over the local network. One connection is my 'web motion clips', and the other connection is my '24/7 HD continuous clips'.

Compression settings are 77 for JPEG and H.264.

In the Video Device Settings menu for the 'web motion clips' connection, the settings don't seem to do anything.

My drop down menu for the format is:
- JPEG HTTP (video only)
- MPEG-4 RTSP (video and audio)
- MPEG-4 RTSP-over-HTTP (video and audio)
- H.264 RTSP (video and audio)
- H.264 RTSP-over-HTTP (video and audio)

The only formats that work are JPEG HTTP (video only) and H.264 RTSP-over-HTTP (video and audio), the other options produce a blue screen that cannot connect.

I'd like to use a compressed format for the web motion clips (this works with my older Axis M3114). For this Axis 3026 camera, the JPEG HTTP clips are uploading large MB clips, despite different attempts and configurations (quality = low, FPS = 3, resolution = small, etc).

If I change it to H.264 RTSP-over-HTTP, it goes to full resolution (and disregards all settings, like my video size of 640x480). Sometimes, if I restart the computer and set it back to the JPEG mode, the file sizes produced are the correct dimension, but sporadically throughout the day it reverts back to large, uncompressed, full resolution clips.

My goal is to have the web clips at quality = medium, dimensions = 640x480, compressed with H.264 so they are in the 300k – 1MB range for a 12-15 second clip. Currently, they are 5-15 MB each. Smaller clips upload faster, and larger clips use too much of my mobile data plan when remote.

I've also noticed that the Security Spy software slowly uses more and more RAM (not a CS person, but it feels like a memory leak? Just started happening with the latest version of SS released 6/4/14) until I get a system error that there is no RAM left. I've noticed this on multiple computers running different cameras, not sure if this is related. SS is the only software running when this happens.

Comments

• Hi,

RTSP operates over a different port to HTTP (typically 554 vs. 80), so if the RTSP streams don't work then this indicates that there might be a firewall between the computer and camera blocking these connections, or that you have entered the wrong port number in the RTSP port setting in the Video Device Settings window perhaps.

With the video settings, SecuritySpy does request from the camera the particular settings you specify, but will accept from the camera whatever stream it provides. So it's possible that the camera is disregarding your settings for some reason. It would be worth investigating and fixing the RTSP connections to the camera, in case these give you better success with the video parameters compared to the RTSP-over-HTTP connections.

As for the possible memory leak, this isn't a known problem but we will run tests to check this. This won't be related to the issue with video sizes.