Skip to content

Motion Trigger from different camera

edited April 2014 in SecuritySpy
I guess this might be a new feature request.
I have two camera at my front door - one is from a high angle, looks down on the front steps and the surrounding sidewalk and driveway, and records when there is activity just about anywhere (front steps, sidewalk, etc). The second camera (not yet installed), is a peephole camera mounted in the front door - looking out horizontally. However, the backdrop for this camera is the street, so every passing car goes into the field of view. What I would like to do, is trigger the peephole camera to record when motion is detected on the front steps (not the sidewalk nor driveway) - essentially set up a detection mask using the video feed from another camera.

This could be generalized a bit more into "virtual cameras" (or detection zones). Again from the camera at the front steps - I get motion recording from any activity, but I would like an alarm (email) when activity takes place on the top step (Like when UPS places a package there, or the neighbors kid steals said package).

Comments

• Hi - you can achieve this in two different ways. One is to use the mask feature (in the Setup section of the Camera Settings window) to mask of the street from the peephole camera so that it doesn't trigger recording.

The second, which is more like your description, would be to get the high camera to trigger recording from both cameras. To do this, create an AppleScript as per our "Triggering Motion-Detection Recording" AppleScript Example that will trigger recording in the peephole camera (see the Device map window in SecuritySpy for the correct camera numbers). Then save this as an application into your ~/Documents/SecuritySpy/Scripts/ folder (within your user folder).

Set this script as an action for the high camera and it will trigger recording in both cameras when motion is detected in the high camera. Use a mask on the peephole camera to mask out all areas that you don't want to use for triggering itself (maybe the whole frame).

Hope this helps.
  • I am able to use the applescript to trigger motion capture. Is it also possible to use the pre-capture to record 5 seconds prior to the trigger?

I am integrating with a Mobtitix T25 and have the camera detect the motion and trigger the recording.

Thanks
  • Yes: if you set the pre-capture time for the camera in question, then no matter how the trigger occurs (i.e. by motion-detection, audio detection or AppleScript), then SecuritySpy will use the pre-capture time to record the specified number of seconds of video before the motion event.
  • @finkej I'm very interested to know what peephole camera you bought that works with SecuritySpy.