What controls sensitivity?
  • Hi Ben-

I installed a Zavio 6330 a few days ago and am very happy, especially with the night vision.

Anyway, here's my question after testing several variables with no luck.
    The 6330 has many different camera settings including a separate Threshold and Sensitivity. Does SecuritySpy override the dual camera settings? I've set tha Zavio at factory 50/50 and all the way to 5/100 (threshold/sensitivity with SecuritySpy at 50 or 60 and don't see much difference, that is, with the senario described above, this camera is missing people walking with no obstructions at ~35/40ft and missing it. Cars seem to be fine. The camera is mounted under an eave with about a 15 degree down angle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Hi Mark,

The camera's motion-detection options are completely separate from SecuritySpy's. In SecuritySpy, if you are finding that it's missing movement, then I suggest you increase the sensitivity setting under Preferences -> Cameras -> Setup.

Please also read our blog post How To Achieve Effective Motion Detection.

Note that 40ft is quite a long way away, especially if the camera has a wide-angle lens. You will probably only get effective motion detection for people closer to the camera.

If you want us to advise further, please email us and include an image from the camera (right-click on it in SecuritySpy and select the "Save Image As JPEG" option to create an image to send to us).
  • Hi Ben and thanks for this.

Regarding camera vs SecuritySpy controls for motion detection, which comes first? That is, do I set the factory threshold/sensitivity settings first then adjust SS, or the other way around?
    I can see problems getting this set correctly as I don't know which setting is managing what, at what level. For example, setting the Zavio camera at 5/100 and SS sensitivity at 50, is SS restricting the Zavio to 50% of the above settings? I will contact the vendor maybe tomorrow regarding this but I don't want them to say that this is a SS problem without me checking it out first.

The referenced article is excellent BTW.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Hi Mark - the camera's motion-detection settings and SecuritySpy's motion-detection settings are completely independent. So if you change the camera's settings, this won't affect how SecuritySpy can detect motion, and vice versa. SecuritySpy is purely analysing pixels in the incoming video stream in order to determine motion, and these aren't changed by changing the camera's motion-detection settings.

Hope this helps!
  • Finally, I get it. I think :>)

Thanks for the help and explanation!

Mark
  • Hello,

I have to watch 2 places with the same camera, one during the day and the other at night to control the feeders of the hedgehogs that frequent my garden. So I created the scripts needed to change the ptz in a timely manner and trying to increase the md sensitivity for the night, but that does not work for md sensitivity.

Can you tell me if I made a mistake in the script below or if there is a problem in the application with the modification of the md sensitivity parameter via the script editor?

Thanks for your help.

property thePath : "http://username:password@127.0.0.1:8000/++camerasetup"

-- set motion detection sensitivity to 80%:
    do shell script ¬
    "curl -d " & "'cameraNum=1¬
    ¬
    &mdCheck=1¬
    ¬
    &mdSensitivityText=80¬
    ¬
    &action=save' " & thePath

tell application "SecuritySpy"
    ptz preset3 camera number 1
    end tell
  • Hi @cwibal here are the things to check:

- Make sure that SecuritySpy's standard HTTP web server is enabled, under Preferences -> Web

- Your script does not have a proper username or password encoded in the URL. You should add a web server account to SecuritySpy (if you have not done so already), and then add the proper username and password to the "thePath" parameter in your script instead of the "username:password" placeholders.
  • Hi Ben,

Thank you for your answer but I use SecuritySpy for about 3 or 4 years with the right web settings, username and password. All the parameters I use in my scripts work very well except for the following two:

"mdSensitivityText" and "mdSoundTriggerText".

My camera has no microphone but I tested mdSound which does not work either.

Here are the real scripts (except the name and password):

Script n° 1 =======================================
    property thePath : "http://******:******@imac.local:8000/++camerasetup"

do shell script ¬
    &soundMenu=0¬
    &frontCheck=0¬
    &transformationMenu=0¬
    &mcCaptureMovieCheck=1¬
    &mdSensitivityText=80¬

ptz preset2 camera number 1
    end tell

Script n° 2 =======================================
    property thePath : "http://******:******@imac.local:8000/++camerasetup"

do shell script ¬
    &soundMenu=0¬
    &frontCheck=1¬
    &transformationMenu=2¬
    &mcCaptureMovieCheck=1¬
    &mdSensitivityText=50¬

ptz preset3 camera number 1
    end tell

I do not understand what's wrong.

Christian
  • Hi Ben,
    I have solved my little problem but the settings of the sound sensitivity and motion detection sensitivity don't work as described in the manual.
    thanks anyway,
    Christian
  • Hi Ben,
    I have solved my little problem but the settings of the sound sensitivity and motion detection sensitivity don't work as described in the manual.
    thanks anyway,
    Christian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!