Skip to content

New SecuritySpy User

edited January 2016 in SecuritySpy
Hi there,

Been a very long time user of Zoneminder on an Ubuntu headless server that handled my CCTV needs quite well - 4 IP cams and one analog with capture card in the box. This system worked very well for the time I used it but, like with all things Linux the learning curve was absolutely vertical and it took AGES to get a good configuration, finding out camera request strings etc...

I thought id look around for something that would work natively on my 2009 iMac as the Linux box went bang a while ago. I did have Zm working on a VM for a while but it seemed to be a lot of messing around to achieve something which I was sure could be done natively on a mac.

Enter SecuritySpy - I'd heard about this a while ago but only now, due to running ZM decided to give it a go. Impressed here! Had it set up and working with my 4 IP cams in about 2 days and its now happily recording to a Netgear NAS, 3 cams set up for MD and one on TL. It picked up the H264 stream from one of the cameras (no name chinese) straight away. I could never get H264 working in ZM, ever, even with loads of installed plugins etc.

The mac doesn't seem bothered by all this video manipulation at all - It's hardly using any proc/memory...

I think Ben's going to be getting some of our money soon. Zoneminder I think has been left behind a little by software such as SecuritySpy. Yes, its free, yes it has loads (loads!) of customisation but SS is just so much easier to get up and running and just works for me.

As I said, very impressed! Cheers mate!

Comments

• Thanks for your feedback, it's very useful to hear your experiences switching over from Zoneminder, and I'm very happy that SecuritySpy is working so well for you! If you ever need help or advice on setting up your system please let us know.
  • edited January 2016
    Thanks Ben, will do!

Just another thing. I'm using SS in demo mode ATM but am planning to buy a 4 camera license. If the demo period expires before I buy is this an issue? I wouldnt have to uninstall and reinstall? Thanks
  • I do have one issue actually. I've set the screensaver up on the local machine thats running SS, have set the screensaver up with the static ip of the local machine. The saver works fine, displays all the cam images but reverts to a black screen after a few minutes. The display is set to sleep after an hour...any ideas?
  • BenBen
    edited January 2016
    The screensaver isn’t great at re-connecting lost feeds for some reason, we’ll have a look at this but it may be a while before we can get to it as we’re currently working on some other more important SecuritySpy enhancements. If you want full-screen view on the Mac running SecuritySpy, then SecuritySpy itself has a full-screen mode (see the Getting Started section in the user manual) – this might do what you want?
  • Ah ok, no dramas. I thought it may may have been my config here. Just set up Remote Patrol as well, great stuff. Use it in conjunction with Live Cams Pro. RP for viewing/controlling SS and LCP to view feeds taken directly from cameras...V happy here and you are now up about 75 pounds ;) Cheers for the great work dude!