IP Cameras with sound over ethernet
  • I am already a big fan of Hikvision cameras as I have installed many at work. I am the IT Director at a very large church. This will be my first venture with a system for my home.

I will be starting with a 4 camera setup, 2 outside and 2 inside to be used as monitors for my kids. I have read most of the posts in the forum on cameras.

For the inside cameras, I am looking at the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW ($150 on Amazon) because I need to be able to monitor sound over Ethernet. Any other ones that I should take into consideration that have the same quality, features and cost?

For the outside, I am looking at either the Hikvision DS-2CD3132 or the Hikvision DS-2CD3132 (both around $140 on Amazon). Basically one will be in the front of my house and the other in the back. Any preference between these two? Are there any similar models that will provide sound over just the ethernet cable?

Thanks in advance!
  • For outside should say DS-2CD2332-I or DS-2CD2132F
  • Hi - the DS-2CD2432F-IW is a good choice for indoors, as it has a built-in microphone, and pretty good specifications all round.

The DS-2CD2332-I and DS-2CD2132F do not have any audio features, so if you need audio for the external cameras then you'll need to look at other models. There are some external Hikvision cameras that do have audio features (e.g. the DS-2CD2632F-I), however they do not have built-in microphones, so you'll need to add an external microphone yourself. It's not too difficult or expensive to do this, and if you are set on Hikvision then I'd advise asking them what sort of microphone you would need to purchase for use with their cameras.

In fact it's quite unusual for an external camera to have a built-in microphone, but there are a few models from other manufacturers that do, for example the Dahua Technology IPC-HDW4300C and the Y-cam Bullet HD.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks Ben. I really don't have the need for sound on the outside cameras but just wanted to ask. I ended up getting the two DS-2CD2432F-IW cameras for inside and two DS-2CD2132F cams for outside. I installed the outside cameras today and they are pretty amazing. I am looking forward to getting everything set up!
  • Great to hear your progress - thanks for reporting back!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!