Skip to content

Setting a schedule for email alerts

edited March 2015 in SecuritySpy
Is there a way to set a schedule for when email alerts would be sent? E.g. during the day I don't need any emailed alerts but late at night I'd like alerts to be emailed. E.g. if somebody was prowling on my front porch at 3am. As far as I can tell this isn't possible but I want to check.

Comments

• It looks like SS does provide a solution using HTTP PUT commands. So I can create a scheduled using launchctl to toggle the email setting. It's not ideal because I have to send the admin ID and password in the request but it's a reasonable solution.
  • As you discovered, sending an HTTP command to turn emails on and off is one solution (actually it's an HTTP POST request - there is some information about how to issue these using curl and/or AppleScript at the bottom of our SecuritySpy AppleScript Examples page).

Another workaround, if the camera in question is a network camera, is to add it twice to SecuritySpy, and use the second instance just for sending emails, based on its own schedule.

I know that neither of these solutions is ideal, so we're planning to implement more flexible scheduling in the next major update of SecuritySpy, in order to accommodate this kind of thing.