H.264 receive and save settings
  • I have a variety of cameras, some of which support the H.264 standard. My understanding is, correct me if I'm wrong please, that when SecuritySpy isn't recompressing, it's better on the CPU usage. So, if I have the camera output H.264, and then save to disk without recompression, that's better on CPU usage, right?

Essentially, I don't have to recompress, because I don't need to manipulate the incoming video (no text overlay, or other modifications) so I would like to be as efficient as possible.

By the way, I read your excellent page on RSCP (By the way,. I found your RTSP article very useful in reference to setting up H.264 streams. (http://bensoftware.com/blog/comparison-of-streaming-formats/)) which I referenced here so others who find this thread can read that as well. I actually found that through a Google search, which was a nice surprise that it brought me back here.
  • You are indeed correct that having SecuritySpy save the incoming H.264 video direct to the captured files is the best option in terms of low CPU usage as well as video quality.

Great to hear our blog article was useful - thanks for your comments!
  • Could you please list the steps that properly describe how to achieve this? I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Note that not all my cameras are outputting H.264, but for the ones that are, I wish to save directly to disk in order to minimize CPU usage.

Thanks.
  • You just need to check the "No recompression" option at the bottom of the Video Device Settings window (it's checked by default), and make sure that you aren't using the text overlay, transformation or video blanking features in SecuritySpy. This is described in the Optimising Performance section of the user manual.

Hope this helps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!