Skip to content

Wyze Cam?

2»

Comments

• Is there a plan to put this into the mainstream version of SS soon? (Not beta)
  • Hi @calvarez - this fix is now in the release version of SecuritySpy (4.2.9).
  • Ah, ok, just FYI they are still not on your compatibility list.
  • I may be confused here, but is this limited to cameras running OpenIPC software, or the native Wyze camera? As Boxgrove noted above, OpenIPC limits resolution to 720, and also disables automatic night mode.
  • Hi @Ben, I'm working on accessing my Open IP Camera using the new profile AND the manual configuration and can't seem to get it working in SS. Oddly enough, the RSTP stream works fine using only the url in VLC without any authentication -- any idea how I can mirror the setup within SS to utilize the same feed?

https://www.screencast.com/t/yNsJ4Aq7xat
  • Hi @brandonjones24 could you please check the log (File menu -> Open Log) and let me know what the relevant errors are for this camera?

Your screenshot does show the correct setup, so I'm not immediately sure what the problem could be. It does also show that you are using VLC at the same time - it's possible that the camera is unable to provide two streams at the same time. Could you please try quitting VLC and trying just SecuritySpy on its own?
  • I have been able to get the video working as well at PTZ etc, but no audio. When I use the url rasp://myipaddress:8554/unicast I can hear audio just fine in VLC, but nothing in SS. The Camera Info window shows audio format as PCM but there is no audio. And there are no logs referencing this camera. Has anyone had any luck with audio? I am using the most recent Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks firmware. Thanks!
  • The Wyze Cam with openipc does not work well for me. I use the "Xiaomi/Wyze" profile. When I first set it up, it will work for 10min...1 hour.. but never longer than a day or two. At first, the camera on SS will flash green every few seconds and then finally lose the connection.

Every time this happens I can still see the camera no problem with VLC but not SS.

All I get in the logs is:
    03/23/2019 23:51:57: Error communicating with the network device "Garage". 4.2.10b9,70900,800 Failed to obtain video frame from network device. The operation timed out.

03/24/2019 00:02:09: Error communicating with the network device "Garage". 4.2.10b9,70900,800 Failed to obtain video frame from network device. The operation timed out.
  • I am seeing the same thing as @oldeck - it's very odd. Wyze cam works fine out of the box, works fine with OpenIP using VLC. but Security spy just looses the connection constantly. Eventually giving up and will no longer connect, I have to reboot the camera. This repeats.

I know this is 'beta' support, to thank you! Having a $20 camera add into SS is fantastic, and I feel like this should work, just something timing out.
  • Wyze has released an official beta firmware firmware that supports RTSP.

After upgrading, I’m able to add the cameras directly into SecuritySpy via a manual profile.

For more information and how to join their beta program please see:

https://www.wyze.com/become-a-beta-tester/

https://forums.wyzecam.com/t/real-time-streaming-protocol-rtsp/6694

• In case it helps anyone else, Wolfman very kindly gave me these details to configure the Wyze cams in SS. Working great for me and passing through Indigo to Apple Home for viewing on the watch :)

In addition to installing the beta firmware on the camera, you'll also need to install the beta application on your iPhone / Android so you can enable RTSP.

When you enable RTSP - you'll be able be provided a URL (with default credentials that you can change).

Go into SecuritySpy, and add another camera -

Address: IP Address of Camera
    UserName: From your WyzCam RTSP URL
    Password: From your WyzeCam RTSP Url
    Profile: Manual Configuration
    Format: RTSP TCP (Video and Audio)
    Request (Manual Profile Only) - enter in "live" (omit the quotes)
  • Thanks, I bought 2 of these to play with and could not figure out how to get them running. This is great
  • Here's a couple of posts I found to help get this running for everyone.

https://tlon.us/posts/enable-configure-wyze-cam-desktop-viewing/

https://forums.wyzecam.com/t/rtsp-of-wyze-cams-with-security-spy-for-mac-setup-info/27976

Super simple, I had SS up and running on my 3 wzye cams in about 5 minutes for each camera. So far so good, but it's only been about 2 hours. I'll have to wait and see for a couple of days if this is stable or not.

• @ben It seems custom firmware can no longer be installed on the Wyze cameras. Is there another way to get the PTZ function or two-way audio to work?
  • > I use the "Xiaomi/Wyze" profile.

In this thread and several others, I see mention of this profile in Preferences>Cameras.

But with the current version of SS, I have no such profile available. Was it removed in a later version?

It may be moot, as I'm using the https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks hacked firmware to make the camera serve RTSP. I get a stream fine, but as others mention here when using different firmware, the Wyze cams don't stay reliably connected to SS, while still being fine when viewed in VLC or via the web page.

I'm considering an experiment where I switch back to the RTSP enabled Wyze firmware, but I'm more than a little concerned about snoopware that comes along with it.
  • BenBen
    edited September 2020
    The profile name in SecuritySpy has been changed in recent versions to "Wyze with RTSP firmware".

As far as I know the Wyze RTSP firmware is still available here: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP

Unfortunately, Wyze had not made available the requests for PTZ or two-way audio (I've asked them specifically, and they told me there is no available API for this), so PTZ and computer-to-camera audio are a no-go with these cameras.
  • Thanks. The Elias hacked firmware is different from the Wyze beta RTSP version, so I'll stick with my manual config for now.
  • there is a new version of the RSTP firmware out in 'beta'. I was hoping it would improve the performance of their cams. My issue is the cams drop off randomly from SecuritySpy and come back on, or will remain disconnected for days. Even if i power cycle them this behaviour continues. and I am using the Wyze profile

https://forums.wyzecam.com/t/new-rtsp-binaries-for-beta-testing/145275
  • Has anyone tried to use the newer Wyze V3 camera with SecuritySpy? I believe it has RTSP already enabled by default.
    I have been unable to determine if the V3 camera has ONVIF compatibility.
  • Got this in an email from WYZE 05-31-2021

Faster load times and better streaming for Wyze Cam with WebRTC
    In the last few months, we’ve been switching cameras to a new streaming protocol called WebRTC, which is basically just a faster way to load and stream video with extremely low latency. It favors real-time video exchange over video completeness, which means if your wifi signal is low, it will lower the video quality before showing a spinning buffer wheel. Other benefits include better syncing of audio to video and more seamless integrations with platforms outside of the Wyze app.

With the change, Google Home and Alexa devices will see big improvements (not including Chromecast, yet). The streams should load faster with almost zero latency, which makes it even better for monitoring activities like using your cameras as a baby cam. It also removes the 10-minute stream limitation!

WebRTC is now deployed on all v2 and Pan cameras. It will be coming soon to v3, Outdoor Cam, and Video Doorbell.

This is a huge win for our engineering team! We have more than 150 engineers working to improve our products every day. There’s still a lot of improvements in the works! If you have feedback or ideas, we’re always listening in our Wyze communities.
  • I have a v3 in the box waiting to hear if it supports RTSP - I thought the firmware flash trick didn't work for v3 cameras (I have 2 of the v2 cameras sending video via RTSP).