Skip to content

Wyze Cam?

edited December 2017 in Cameras
Has anyone had experience connecting a Wyze Cam? Given its low price I may pull the trigger anyway and see if I can get it to work with SecuritySpy but it'd be handy if someone else has already made it work. Thanks!

Comments

• According to the manufacturer's FAQ for this camera, "The WyzeCam can only be used with the Wyze App on a smartphone device (iOS or Android)". So It appears to be a closed solution, tied to their own app, that does not support standard protocols.

I would recommend using only cameras listed on our list of supported cameras or ones that specifically state in their specifications that they support ONVIF (or at least RTSP streaming, in which case a manual setup should be possible).
  • Ugh, I didn't realize no ONVIF or RTSP. There seems to be a possible hack to enable RTSP (www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiUdSjby57M) and once the holidays are over I may get the cam and give it a try. Thanks for the quick reply, Ben!
  • @stevejones, any luck with unlocking RTSP on the Waze? Thanks!
  • I have been in touch with Wyze Cam directly via their Twitter handle. They have responded that they are taking a serious look at RTSP.

I don't think they will do ONVIF, but RTSP may be in the works.

I would suggest contacting them (via Twitter or other methods) and expressing your interest in RTSP support. The more feedback they get, the more attention.

I have one of the cameras and the video quality is excellent. If they do add RTSP, lots more people would buy them in larger quantities.

Now if they would just do PoE and an outdoor version!
  • edited May 2018
    As of April 27th, the latest beta of openipcamera (see https://github.com/openipcamera/openipc-firmware) supposedly works with the WyzeCam v2 hardware. I haven't been able to test it, but progress is being made.

Unfortunately, openipcamera doesn't do ONVIF, although it does enable RTSP. Maybe ONVIF is something that could be enabled in the future.
  • BenBen
    edited May 2018
    This is very interesting - OpenIPC appears to be some custom firmware that enables RTSP streaming for Xiaomi and Wyze cameras - sounds like a great idea.

After installing the firmware, you should be able to connect the camera to SecuritySpy using the following setup:

- Create a new network device and set the Profile to "Manual configuration"

- Enter the camera's IP address

- Enter any username/password set for the camera

- Set the Format to RTSP TCP

- Enter unicast as the Request.

If anyone can test this and report back it would be very helpful - I'm afraid we don't have one of these cameras ourselves.
  • I have not tried the OpenIPC firmware on them. I have a few of these cameras to mess around with, because they are so cheap. They now have a pan/tilt version for $30 that does object tracking natively (pan/tilt follows a moving object automatically).

OpenIPC kills the automatic night mode, their built-in online notifications/clips, and limits resolution to below HD. So it's not a great solution at all. It's also not proven with the pan/tilt cameras, and there is no documented way to revert to OEM firmware that I can find for the latest camera version (called WyzeCam V2).

But...the Wyzecams can be accessed by an Android app called Tinycam Pro. If they can do it, then others should be able to, unless Wyze gave special help to them such as encryption keys. I don't know. Many people run Tinycam Pro as a proxy between Wyzecams and an NVR. A silly kludge.
  • Oh, and the cameras are really nice hardware. Great image, great night mode, just shocking for $20! The mounting system is great and flexible. They are tiny.
  • I can confirm that the Xiaomi Dafang running custom firmware https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks works through SS, Unfortunately doesn't look like SS recognises it as a Pan-Tilt camera out of the box.... Looking through their documentation it looks like it works with Zoneminder Pan Tilt... Any ideas for in SS?
  • Hi @Boxgrove - good to hear this works! How is this set up in SecuritySpy?
  • edited July 2018
    Address: "IP of Dafang"
    HTTP port: [empty]
    RTSP port: "8554"
    username: "root" (this is the default)
    Password: ismart12 (again, this is the default)
    Profile: "manual configuration" (I tired running auto-detect profiles, but nothing matched)
    Format: "RTSP TCP (video and audio)" - (The camera has 2way audio, but I've not tested this in SS)
    Request (manual profile only): "/unicast"

One of the issues with them currently is the newer models do not have a light sensor for auto night mode, as documented here - https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks/issues/332#issuecomment-397364763) and must rely on software to toggle night mode. Some people have had success adding a LDR to them, but for now I'm keeping mine as a 'day only' camera.
  • Thanks for the information. I have found what I think are the correct pan/tilt commands and have created a new profile for this camera called "Xiaomi/Wyze" with pan/tilt enabled. You will find this new profile in the list under Preferences -> Cameras ->Device in the latest beta version of SecuritySpy (currently 4.2.7b1). Could you test this profile with your camera and let me know if pan/tilt works?
  • Hi Ben, thanks for the update! It successfully adds the camera, and auto-detect profile also works! Unfortunately PT controls don't seem to respond, Theres documentation here on the scripts to use if thats any helps? https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks/blob/master/integration/domoticz/domoticz.md
  • I've got two of these currently running; one pan-tilt and one fixed. Like a charm! Cheap!
    But the pan-tilt functions don't work yet as of 4.2.7b6. Per the firmware git archive, the following shows the commands for pan-tilt here. Any chance of incorporation into SS?

Thanks,
    Rick

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

/cgi-bin/currentpic.cgi
    /unicast
    /cgi-bin/action.cgi?cmd=motor_left
    /cgi-bin/action.cgi?cmd=motor_right
    /cgi-bin/action.cgi?cmd=motor_up
    /cgi-bin/action.cgi?cmd=motor_down
    /cgi-bin/action.cgi?cmd=motor_calibrate
    /cgi-bin/action.cgi?cmd=reboot

• And, immediately oops. First post, didn't know. The HTML stuff got stripped and now it doesn't show quite enough to be useful. Here's a "safe" version:

https://10.0.1.92//cgi-bin/action.cgi?cmd=motor_left

the rest are completely similar...

Thanks for great software,
    rick

• Do the green motion boxes show up through SS as well ?
  • I’d love to get the Pan Tilt functionality as well.
  • Hi All, the latest version of SecuritySpy has a new "Xiaomi/Wyze" device profile that has pan/tilt activated for this camera. Please report back and let me know if it works as expected.
  • No luck for me. I am getting the following error in the logs "Error sending PTZ command for camera "Wyze 5". 4.2.8b1,4430,405"
  • Hi All,
    Here's the way I just got my Wyze to move via command line.

curl -u user:password -k https://10.0.1.92/cgi-bin/action.cgi?cmd=motor_left

This works reliably. The only other thing needed is the ability to send the "motor calibrate" command too. Without this, the camera won't know its limits and so can't
    behave properly. This might be an easy thing for startup, or, I dunno. :-)

Thanks again for great software and great support!

rick
  • Hi @red6rick that's the exact same command that SecuritySpy is using with the "Xiaomi/Wyze" profile. Could you please check this profile in the latest version of SecuritySpy and let me know if this works for you, or if you are getting the same error message as @nelhenry?
  • I'm running 4.2.7
    When I look at the log file, I get pretty much the same message.

2018/09/04 18:12:15: Error sending PTZ command for camera "wyze pan". 4.2.7,4430,301

and I just downloaded the latest beta, it generated

2018/09/05 18:00:23: Error sending PTZ command for camera "wyze pan". 4.2.8b2,4430,301

one time; then no more errors, but no action either :-(

thanks,
    rick

• edited September 2018
    For what it's worth, here's the output of curl when executing this (user:password obscured)

hisee:~ rcvn$ curl -u user:password -k https://10.0.1.92/cgi-bin/action.cgi?cmd=motor_left
    x: 1200
    y: 350
    speed: 900
    <hr/>
    <button title='Return to status page' onClick="window.location.href='status.cgi'">Back</button>

hisee:~ rcvn$
  • @ben also getting error sending PTZ command for camera "Network camera". 4.2.8b2,4430,301
  • After providing Ben access to my camera, he has found the problem with PTZ. The most current beta works!

Thanks Ben!
  • Excellent - I can also confirm PTZ works great in the latest beta! The only other thing is the pre-sets are all grey'ed out, and I can't option-click on any of the numbers to save one? Am I missing something?
  • As far as I know, the firmware does not support preset positions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Ahh right, I thought the presets were a feature of SS - rather than the other way around, no bother!
  • Open question for other people with wyze or defang cams... It seems I can only get as high as 720p quality, anything higher and SS doesn't recognise it or the web interface becomes unresponsive. Anyone else having issues?
  • Has anyone been able to get audio working with these cameras and SS?