Skip to content

2-way audio

edited July 2020 in SecuritySpy
I know I'm on the far end of an edge case scenario here, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I don't have anything setup yet, I'm waiting for cameras to arrive (Hopefully worth the wait). The cameras I've selected don't do audio, which in general I'm OK with, but I also don't like any of the doorbell options out there, so I was considering either getting one camera with 2 way audio, or possibly getting a device that's 2 way audio only? I have no idea what that would look like or how/if it could be pulled into SS, but I figured I'd ask here first. Anyone have a 2 way audio solution that they'd endorse, either via a camera or some other cool solution that they've integrated into SS?

Comments

• SecuritySpy currently supports two-way audio for Axis, Dahua, Hikvision and Amcrest cameras. We're also working on ONVIF two-way audio support, which should be added in the near future.

So the best solution at the moment would be to get a camera from one of the above manufacturers that offers two-way audio. A few models have a built-in microphone and speaker (e.g. AXIS M1065-L, Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW); others require you to add your own external microphone and speaker.

SecuritySpy doesn't support any non-camera audio devices (I have never seen a non-camera two-way audio device - the closest would be an Axis network speaker, but this doesn't have a microphone and SecuritySpy doesn't support this, at least yet).
  • Thanks @ben. In the short term, I grabbed one of the Hikvision doorbells. It looks like the models you linked to were both indoor units and I need something that can handle the weather. Hopefully a better option will present itself in the future.
  • Yes, the Hikvision doorbell should be a good solution, and as you say it's designed to be outside. Let me know how you get on with it.
  • Works like a charm. Thanks
  • @mschachtjr, which Hikvision doorbell model did you buy? Have you been able to link it to a doorbell chime as well? Is it the DS-KB6003-WIP?
  • DS-HD1 doorbell. It tied into my existing door chime.
  • edited August 2020
    I’ve got a couple of questions regarding doorbells, specifically the ds-hd1.

1. The rest of my hikavision cameras can all be controlled via their IP address, but I can’t get a web interface for the doorbell. Is there a way other than the app to adjust settings?

2. The doorbell has an odd sensor size, is there a way to display it at 16:9 the way the Apple TV app does?

3. Two-way audio doesn’t seem to be working, but I suspect it could be that the volume is too low on the doorbell speaker. When I “send audio” from my phone, I hear the audio in my phone like an echo, but it doesn’t come out of the doorbell speaker.

Thanks
  • Update: figured out how to access the camera without the app. I noticed that the only audio profile option was ACC. Could that be the issue?
  • edited August 2020
    I like “problems” because they force you to dig in and learn the software. Becoming more familiar with things as I go. The ds-hd1 does not really work with the hikavision camera profile. At least the microphone doesn’t work. It does seem to work with both onvif and the hikvision DVR profile. Still only getting aac audio and still can’t get the speaker in the ds-hd1 to play audio (talkback). So I went from no audio to 1 way audio.
  • SecuritySpy currently doesn't support ONVIF two-way audio, nor does it support sending AAC audio to cameras (just G.711 right now), but these are both features that we are actively working on right now. So I hope to have some progress to report on this soon. I'll get back to you when there is an update for you to test.
  • Hello, I just purchased the ds-hd1. I am also trying to access the audio. It was initially there, but since has disappeared, when I deleted and added the camera back into SS.
    Any suggestions are appreciated. Using the Hikvision camera profile currently.
  • Update:
    Downloaded iVMS-4200
    The configuration is available through this application.
  • edited February 2022

Sorry about bumping this but I am considering this the DS-HD1. The catch is the doorbell will be remote. Has anyone succesfully connected this to a SS system for remote streaming? Audio is not required. Just looking for a live remote feed and notifications when doorbell pushed.

Thanks

Steve

• BenBen
    edited February 2022

Hi @bunjicat do you mean that the connection between the DS-HD1 and SecuritySpy will be over the Internet? This requires that the DS-HD1 have a static IP address on its local network, and that you set up port forwarding in its router to forward incoming connections to it on ports 80 and 554. You will also need to set up a DDNS name at the location of the DS-HD1 - many routers have this feature.

Then you will be able to add the camera to an instance of SecuritySpy at a different location, using the DDNS name you set up and ports you forwarded. SecuritySpy cannot (currently) access the camera's button/doorbell, however it will be able to detect motion via the camera and can inform you of this by the usual means (email, iOS push notification etc.).