Skip to content

Cameras won't record at dark....

edited June 2014 in SecuritySpy
OK, yes I did double and triple check the schedule settings on both the camera (Dahua) and the software (security spy). Just wondering if there is something else that may cause this. Im basically still testing and tweaking but started to notice that once night time rolls around the camera does not record any more until the morning. It is set to motion detect and otherwise does just fine.

I have been checking the schedule settings: in SecuritySpy under camera settings "Schedule" check box under setup tab is checked (and I tested it without it checked) and My Schedule is selected. Schedule settings.... shows me green bars for 7 days/24 hours a day.

From the top menu bar if I choose Setting>Schedule settings I get the same green bars 24/7 view.

I havent "made" a schedule.

I also checked the schedule in the Dahua setup directly with the camera and have both general and motion (under storage>schedule) set to 24/7.

One last thing I did to be sure it was not a hardware malfunction issue is that I used the manual record function directly from the camera setup and it recorded no problem (at night, when it will not record from security spy).

So in summary, the system records off motion all day long no problem. I have a lot of files from cars passing, my kids playing, etc....when it gets dark (for last 3 days its final recording was near sundown but not yet dark) it just stops recording. I can go out there and dance like a fool in front of the camera for 5 minutes straight (Ive only done about a minute) and no file will be generated by security spy.

I tried adjusting the deck lighting basically so the infrareds were on and off and no luck either way.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• I think Ive concluded this problem is due to changes in sensitivity from day to night, along with (related) change from color recording to B&W recording. When I changed teh Depth setting to black and white the sensitivity shot up over what I would normally set it and the camera started recording. I think I now have to figure out a balance if I want to keep my camera setup to record color during the day and B&W at night.
  • If you want the camera to be recording (in Active mode) 24/7, don't use a schedule but rather set the camera to Active mode manually (via the Camera Status window or by right-clicking on the camera's view and using the popup menu). Once a camera is set to Active mode manually, it will stay in Active mode.

But this doesn't sound like the cause of the problem. As you have discovered, the picture when the camera is in night mode has quite different characteristics than in day mode, so the sensitivity setting in SecuritySpy may have to be adjusted upwards so that it will pick up movement at night. Unfortunately this may mean you get more false positive detections during the day, but at the moment there is no better solution.