Mac Pro 5,1 and OpenCore
  • I decided today to upgrade my Mac Pro 5,1 to Catalina (using Dosdude1 patched installer). Afterwards, I installed OpenCore to enable a boot screen for my unpatched AMD Radeon RX 850 metal card. One of the features of OpenCore is enabling AMD H264 / HEVC hardware decode + encode in Mojave or later. I don't recall SecuritySpy's exact CPU usage prior to OpenCore, but I think with all 13 cameras being viewed, usage was probably around 40-50%. After installing OpenCore, SecuritySpy CPU usage is hovering around 1.5%. That's quite a big boost in performance. Right now, I'm just viewing the cameras on the Mac Pro since recording is done via my Mac Mini. I'm curious, if I move my license copy of SS back to my Mac Pro, would SS benefit from this performance boost when recording video.
  • This is impressive - sounds like you are getting great performance with this setup. Decompression is the main processor-intensive task that SecuritySpy has to do, so if you've already achieved the viewing of 13 cameras at a very low CPU usage, you have already solved this problem. Assuming that you are recording the camera streams as-is (i.e. you have the "Recompress video data" option turned OFF under Preferences > Cameras > Device), adding recording won't significantly increase CPU usage beyond what you are currently seeing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!