Skip to content

Error communicating with the network

edited August 2019 in SecuritySpy
Error communicating with the network device "Front East MC ". 5.0.1,10,835 Excessive packet loss from network device, the network may be too slow or defective, or this computer may be overloaded. Check the network and/or reduce this camera's frame rate.

Seeing a few of these lately. They are corresponding with day / night switching in the morning and evening. Prior to v5 these events were reported as motion. These are axis M3026 with external IR's. All connected via a dedicated POE switch. I do notice via istat there are peak loads on the network 12MB/s during this event. Any comments?

Comments

• It's interesting that these events correspond to day/night switching. If you have a look at the Dashboard feature in SecuritySpy, and take a look at the bandwidth of this camera throughout the day, do you see peaks there corresponding to these times?

What make/model is your Ethernet switch?
  • I'll check on the camera bandwidth. The switch is a Netgear FS116P. Thanks.
  • Checked dashboard, impressive, the three cameras had peaks during the day/night time frame 4352 KB/s, 4217 KB/s, 3655 KB/s. This activity all lines up with the video capture in the "SS AI Predictions" file. Also lines up with the istat network peaks. Pro active action is to increase compression % per camera. Pre v5 one camera would report some of these activities as motion detection. HTH Thanks
  • BenBen
    edited August 2019
    This problem is consistent with the network becoming saturated, resulting in dropped packets.

You are using a Fast Ethernet switch, which operates at a maximum of 100 Mbps, or 12.5 MBps (b=bits, B=bytes). Your data throughput at peak times appears to be reaching this limit.

The best solution would be to replace your switch with a Gigabit Ethernet switch (1000 Mbps speed). Alternatively, if you don't want to do this, you could adjust settings on your cameras to try to reduce their data rates (e.g. by decreasing their frame rates).
  • 30% camera compression seems to work. Greatly reduced the night data transfer by ~40%. I am looking into a Gigabit POE switch.