Skip to content

Foscam Full HD 4MP 2K Wifi Sec Cam

edited June 2019 in SecuritySpy
Have just purchased the above-referenced camera. It's here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M989TCK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
Compared to my other 12 Focscam cameras running on SS (FI9800P 720Ps) the picture blinks randomly and motion is staggered. SS reports it at 20fps. The settings are ONVIF with the ONVIF and RTSP ports left blank. Format is "RTSP TCP". My historical order links to FI9800Ps on Amazon (back to 2016) have all been changed to point to this new camera. Which is a concern in and of itself. Is there some setup on this camera that I could be missing ? It's wifi through the same router with all the others. And, they all look great on SS - which is one of the most stable software platforms of this variety that I have every seen BTW. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• I have 5 days to return it to Amazon thankfully, and that it appears to be it's next destination unless I can find something out here.
  • This could be due to the WiFi connection. WiFi is inherently unreliable and may not work well to stream at high frame rates, especially with other cameras on the same network. Are you able to connect this camera using wired Ethernet? Alternatively, you could try reducing the camera's frame rate to see if this improves its reliability (try 5-10fps).
  • Thank you for responding Ben. The Foscam(s) I have require setup via ethernet before changing over to wifi, and unfortunately this camera was not much (or at all) improved when connected direct. Disconnection of other cameras connected to the router did not result in improvement either. Nothing affected the picture instability. When I first picked it up out of the box it felt light and cheap compared to the FI9800Ps. Foscam had a great seller in the FI9800P and I fear like some manufacturers do, they followed with a low-end unit designed to capitalize on the reputation. They have also dropped their historic numbering system which obfuscates comparison with new cameras. Time was running out so I returned it to AMZN and bought an FI9800P off eBay. I have had no historical problems running 8 FI9800Ps + 1 D-Link on the same router and Mac Mini.
  • I just bought the same camera. On the box, it's called a G4. I have the same issue. The camera streams fine to Safari and Foscams VMS app on the Mac (using ethernet cable), but in SS, not only is the stream blinking, the stream also shows streams from the other cameras on the network between blinks. Very strange. I spent nearly 5 hours trying different profiles, formats and ports. I then found this thread. I will be returning this camera and buying an older model. I will probably switch from Foscam at some point since there are a lot of other weird things about connecting to Foscam cameras.
  • Follow-up: The FI9800P ordered off eBay arrived. It appears new, except that it's marked refurbished ! It was purchased from 'foscamofficial' and there was no mention whatsoever of a refurb. Lol. Never have I purchased from eBay and gotten exactly what was advertised. They are the antithesis of AMZN. That said for 49.00 it may be the best deal out there for my system. @masbas if you find a good substitute for Foscam please feel free to share you findings :)