Skip to content

Help needed to gather images from users

BenBen
edited June 2018 in SecuritySpy
Hello SecuritySpy Users!

We are planning to make SecuritySpy much smarter about motion detection and analysis of video data. To achieve this, we are working on a neural network algorithm that can intelligently analyse and categorise images and video. To enable us to do this effectively, we need to collect a large amount of images from video surveillance cameras to use as training data.

In the latest version of SecuritySpy (4.2.5), there is a new option in the General Preferences called "Send anonymous images back to developer". When this is enabled, SecuritySpy will send images from your cameras back to us when it detects motion. We can then sort and categorise these images and use them as training data for the neural network we are developing.

For privacy, this option is off by default. We need as many users as possible to send us images, so if you don't mind doing so, please enable this option. Images are sent infrequently and are scaled down to a small size, so this will not impact your Internet connection. Apart from the content of the images themselves, no other personal data is sent with the images.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help us out with what will be a major improvement to SecuritySpy.

Ben

Comments

• Ben, could there be an option to select which cameras are involved?
    Would be happy to help supply images, but not necessarily from ALL cameras.
  • Hi Guy, that's a good idea, I didn't think of that! I'll see if I can add a choice of cameras and release this as a beta soon. Will let you know when done. Thanks.
  • OK I have now added the option to select specific cameras for this, in the latest beta version of SecuritySpy (currently 4.2.6b1). When you enable the option, a panel will pop up that allows you to choose which cameras to include.
  • Great. Will do tonight.
  • Really happy to see this. Two places where I have the most issues and I hope can be addressed with object detection:
    1. small motion, e.g. somebody distant moving towards/away from the camera. If I have the sensitivity too high, I get a lot of false positives, and if too low, no recording. I've taken to recording long sections before and after motion detection so I can get the "complete view." (I live next to an open lot/field that's marked with no trespassing signs and have occasional unsavory foot traffic to/from it. I'd like to get an eye on people sooner/later than my motion detection settings allow).
    2. shadows of trees swaying in the wind. Today the trees are easily masked, but obviously the shadows move throughout the day.
  • Hi @bp33 thanks for the input. The new features we are planning should totally eliminate number 2 but may not help with number 1. The moving object has to be a certain size in the frame before any motion-detection algorithm (even a neural network) can analyse it properly. Small and distant motion will always be ignored, as this is the right thing to do in virtually all cases.
  • edited July 2018
    A like option would be awesome in the forum! I have noticed the same issue as bp33. Send images enabled btw!
  • Ben, I was wondering how this upgrade to enhance the motion detection is going. I have a number of cameras located around my home in order to primarily detect animals, deer specifically. When I do detect that type motion, I kick off some additional scripts. I have security spy installed with 14 cameras but I also have some cameras called Netatmo Presence which already can detect the difference between automobiles, animals, people, and other motions. These really work well to distinguish between the different type movements (I believe they use AI in their cams but don't know the specifics). I am hoping that security spy is going to be able to do the same or have similar functionality soon. Can you provide an update on where your code upgrade stands regarding this functionality?
  • Hi @billbrazeal this is already working well in testing and coming soon to SecuritySpy. If you like, I can add you to the beta test list so that you can test this functionality before it becomes available officially - I think your situation would make a great test case.
  • You could add me to the beta list for motion detect too Ben. I'm in a rural location which eventually will be used strictly for conservation and have a fairly high amount of deer, raccoons, occasional neighborhood cats, and a stray dog or two. Rural road with light moderate traffic and occasional people taking a walk. Only running 2 network cams right now, but may also convert a FLIR cam to the network with some extra hardware.
  • Thanks @fester, this would be very helpful, I will let you know when there is a beta ready to test.
  • Hi Ben - glad to hear you're working on a solution for shadows of trees swaying in the wind triggering motion capture. I have two cameras that experience this quite a bit with waving palm fronds. Would be happy to beta test for you.
  • CVHCVH
    edited November 2018
    I get the occasional spider or lizard that crawls on the lens. Also car lights hitting my driveway trigger motion notifications. Would this new feature help with eliminating triggers?
  • BenBen
    edited November 2018
    Hi @CVH - yes, this problem is exactly what this new feature is designed to address.
  • Hi Ben. I’d also be interested in being a beta tester if that is of some help.
  • Me too if you want anymore testers. I'm quite excited by this prospect.. particularly if I can get it to work with my Indigo HA software for triggering events in the house.
  • I am interested in testing the motion detection enhancements. I am pushing the limit of the current capability of my SS setup.
  • I'm currently considering if I should upgrade to a larger camera license - technically i need one because I have some new cameras that I'd love to put in SS, but for me, object detection has become a "must" in any NVR. I really hope this feature comes soon, I would pay to upgrade to have it, but also considering if I should install and configure a different solution based on open source components and save the license fee for now.

The problem is the other functionality of SS is spot on - I love the apps, the 2 way audio and PTZ control, AppleScript control is all great, it's just missing this one key feature IMO.