Web server + iOS technical question
  • BACKGROUND:
    I purchased six Axis M2026-LE Mk II cameras for a property. In short, they are relatively inexpensive, high-resolution, outdoor, 130° field of view, IR-illuminated, day and night cameras.

After installing one for testing, I found that each camera only allows four (4) streams. This is a surprise, as is not documented anywhere on their website, and, I have many older M-modeled cameras that allow many more (e.g., 10+ connections at a time). I contacted Axis, and confirmed that this particular model limits the stream (https://www.axis.com/files/whitepaper/White_paper_buffer_limitation.pdf).

QUESTION:
    To circumvent the stream limitation, I'd like to use SecuritySpy and the built-in web server, and I'm wondering if the web server software is designed as follows:

Does SecuritySpy connect to the camera on the LAN, capture it, then relay its own stream(s) to the live web view and the iOS SecuritySpy app? I'm more curious about the iOS app, and if it uses the SecuritySpy stream, or a direct stream from the camera.
  • The only condition where SecuritySpy can simply forward the data directly from the camera is if the stream format is JPEG and the video dimensions requested by the client match the dimensions being delivered by the camera.

In all other cases, SecuritySpy will re-encode the camera's stream when sending video via its web server (i.e. if the format is H.264, re-encoding will always take place).

SecuritySpy itself does not have any hard-coded limit to the number of streams it can deliver for a particular camera; this is limited just by the CPU and memory resources of the Mac running SecuritySpy.

I hope this answers your question - please let me know if you need any further information.
  • Okay, so if I use H.264, it will re-encode streams to deliver to any device accessing the web server. Does the iOS app request one of those re-encoded H.264 streams as well?
  • The iOS app requests either a JPEG or an H.264 stream, depending on whether it's connected to the local network (LAN) or connected over the Internet (WAN), and depending on the "Live H.264 Video" option set in the app settings.

JPEG streams are higher-bandwidth, but use a lot less CPU time to generate. So, it's generally best to leave this "Live H.264 Video" option on the default setting of "WAN Only", so that when your iOS device is connected via LAN it requests JPEG data from the server, which is easier for the server to generate.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!