User:Pass Auth in URL
  • Wondering about passing username and password via a url....

Is there a viable way to do this that works in all the major browsers: Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox?
  • Yes, there is, the standard way to add it to the URL is as follows:

However some browsers will put up a warning if you attempt to use such a construction. An alternative, if you need to access a specific page from SecuritySpy, is to use an "auth" parameter, as follows:

Set the value of the auth parameter to the Base64-encoded string username:password. This method is specific to SecuritySpy (it typically wont work for other web servers).
  • Do you think in the future it would be possible to have the cameras have no authentication while the back end index.html still require authentication?
  • Sorry I don't think this is ever going to be an option - the vast majority of users need authentication on every page throughout the web interface.

However, here's something you can do if you don't want to give access to index.html: create a new, blank, HTML document and put it in the Web folder in the SecuritySpy folder. The SecuritySpy folder is located either in the Documents folder or the Home folder, depending on your version of SecuritySpy.

This will override the default index.html file, and will prevent client of the web server from accessing it.

Repeat this for camerasettings.html and preferences.html so that access to settings is disabled too.

I'm not sure if this will work for you, because it does completely disable access to these pages, which may not be what you want.
  • That information about the auth code was great, just what I needed and didn't know it existed. I'd suggest getting it in the documentation unless I missed it. Thanks.
  • Hi @CaliObserver - good idea - I have added this info to the bottom of the SecuritySpy Web Server Specification document.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!