Skip to content

Has anyone found a good WiFi capable bullet cam that works with SS and supports 2.1MP

edited January 2017 in SecuritySpy
Hi all, I'm new here so if this has already been discussed please forgive me but I did spend a few hours trying to answer this question W/O any luck. I am in my 30 eval period for SS and worried I will not find a camera to test with in time.

I understand the limitations of using WiFi and also understand I will likely need to dial back the resolution and frame rate when using WiFi but I would like the option to (at some future date) attempt to install the necessary infrastructure to support a hard wired connection and crank the frame rate and resolution back up.

Has anyone had any good experiences with a camera that meets those specifications (Works w/ SS, WiFi and 2.1MP). I'm interested in OK optics, I don't need pan or tilt. But, I would like the camera to be reliable and have a decent WiFi chipset.

I know lots of different solutions exist and generally speaking, the latest generation WiFi chips are more stable and have much-improved receivers and xmitters.

Using the search feature on the SS site listed a few options

(1) Foscam FI9900P - but I have seen reviews on this one and looks like some reliability issues and WifI drop-outs have been reported

(2) Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I(W) - This one come up in the search but it does not seem to have WiFI so assuming it is a mistake in the SS camera database

(3) Wansview NCM751GA - I did not find too much on this one

(4) Amcrest ProHD IP3M-943W - and finally, I found this one online but it is not listed as support (but another camera from this manufacturer is)

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...

Comments

• I have the Amcrest ProHD IP3M-943W (no. 4 above) and it works well with SS. No problems so far!
  • As you may have discovered, there aren't too many outdoor bullet cameras with WiFi. Typically external walls of buildings are thick so block WiFi signals, so you have to make sure the distance between camera and access point is short for a sufficient signal strength.

The Foscam is fine - we don't generally recommend Foscam but this particular model is perfectly OK. In fact we have reviewed this camera on our blog: Review: Foscam FI9800P IP Camera.

The Hikvision comes in two variants: the DS-2CD2032F-I and the DS-2CD2032F-IW - the former is PoE and the latter is WiFi.

I have no information about the Wansview but the specifications look fine.

The Amcrest is good, we've had positive customer feedback about this one. I'll make sure to add it to our list because it should be there.

Consider using a wired camera if you can. You will get much better reliability, and a wider choice of cameras. If wiring all the way from your switch is impractical, consider a powerline adaptor - these are devices that extend your Ethernet network by using your building's power cables. If it were me, I would use one of these instead of a WiFi camera.
  • stclairtr , thanks so much for the info that really helps since I wanted to try that camera.

Ben, I know WiFi is not a smart way to go but the location is very inaccessible and no power in that area. It would be a big job to get 110V to that area but easier than getting a hardwired ethernet cable from my router.

I had some problems in the past with powerline interfering with some of the Home automation signals that already coexist on my power lines. But that was back in the early 2000s and they were Ver.1. I think they are at least on Ver.3 now - so maybe testing for me with those is something I should consider. Thanks for the idea - I had forgotten all about those....
  • edited February 2017
    ASUS RP-AC56 Repeater/Access Point/Media Bridge ($100us)
    I'm using one of these for a AC wifi range extender. It has a ethernet port. I think it could give you the ability bridge your gap and use a wired camera. You will just need some 12volt for the cam. Not a 100 percent it will work in your situation. Mine is pushing a signal through 2 walls and 30 feet to a detached garage and its super fast.
  • Thanks, meatsuit, I'm going to give my existing WiFi a shot first. If that is a problem I'll likely go the extender route.
  • Just as a follow-up, I have been testing with my new Amcrest ProHD IP3M-943W and it is working great so far. Nice camera - I'm running it at 5fps in full high def and (using H264) and no impact to my WiFi.