Skip to content

SecuritySpy 4.1 beta - please test if you can

BenBen
edited January 2017 in SecuritySpy
Hello!

We have been working hard on the next SecuritySpy update. There have been a lot of changes to various parts of the code to increase performance and add features, so it would be useful to get as much feedback as possible from users before we release the update officially, to make sure we haven't broken anything. If you are able to test the new beta version of SecuritySpy and report back, it would be very useful. Here are a few things to look for:
  • New PTZ controls - please check they work as expected.
  • The way the movie files are initiated and completed has changed in order to minimise frame loss between the end of one file and the start of another, so please check that files are created as expected.
  • Improved network performance and processing of incoming data from network devices: there should now be fewer warnings about packet loss and decompression errors.
  • We have set up a new relay service that allows SecuritySpy to send emails without requiring an SMTP server. If you would like to test this then select "SecuritySpy email relay service" for the "Sending method" option under Preferences -> Email. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Many thanks to anyone who is able to test.

Comments

• Thanks Ben...loaded 4.1b4 today...testing your relay service also.
  • Loaded it 1.5 days ago, had one early error message about 2 minutes after starting to run the new version, no errors since then.
    "There was an error while recording audio data for camera "Backyard". 4.1b4,7460,50885 Failed to record audio chunk. Audio codec mismatch." - just checked, this camera doesn't even have audio, but for some reason I had it enabled, so maybe that will prevent this error in the future.

PTZ controls overall seem to work fine - not sure if it's a bug with my camera or not - It's a Foscam 8910E. First press on a preset - nothing seems to happen.
    It seems to be tied to app restart - quit SS, and start it up again, first preset request does nothing. Second press triggers properly.
    I'm pretty sure this isn't new to 4.1b - I know for sure it was happening in 4.0.x, but never seemed to have time to test it fully. Can't remember if it was an issue with 3.x

I'm pretty sure the network connection to cameras is more stable, but will know for sure after a full week.
  • Hello Ben,

First I would like to say thank you for all your hard work on SecuritySpy. It is just great software. And I look forward to installing more instances of SecuritySpy.

After installing 4.1b4, I needed to look at a video and found that it was not recording correctly. All the cameras on the server were only recording 1 frame every 2 seconds. So I started to troubleshoot the issue and found that if no motion detection is on this happens. Also if the "Decompress incoming video frames only when required" is checked this occurs. So for now to use "Continuous Capture" with no motion detection I must uncheck "Decompress incoming video frames only when required"

Then started to check all my servers and come to find out that this happening from version 4.0.10 all the way to 4.1b4.

For my Mac Pros this is not much of a problem but for the Mac minis this can be brutal.

Again thanks for all your hard work.
  • I think I have a similar issue to jon, with cams in the background running continuous 1 or 2fps, despite the network streams being at 12fps. I also noticed the CPU getting battered by the beta. Load and temps returned to 'normal' when I rolled back to 4.0.10.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/6rmvwmo4qfiob8l/AADu5Flr-U_Ur0Wccz-uWknCa
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/n5ae5tz22n2s7na/AACDcu69L7d0I8mb5Fi2XUnoa
  • I am getting errors with 4.1b4; Error from camera "HD Cam", it will be closed. (Failed to decompress incoming video frame 22185,-8969 Image data decompression failed - bad data) that I was not getting on beta 4.0.11b10

• Hi - I just realised you've updated the version on the beta page, so I've installed the latest one and will feed back. I can immediately see that the 1/2fps 'feature' doesn't seem to affect my cams any more.
  • Thanks everyone for all the useful feedback!

@reddog1987 - is this "decompression failed" error reproducible? If you switch between 4.0.10 and 4.1b5, do you definitely see a significant difference?
  • CPU and memory usage are also back to normal, thank you!
  • dctdct
    edited February 2017
    "All the cameras on the server were only recording 1 frame every 2 seconds. So I started to troubleshoot the issue and found that if no motion detection is on this happens. Also if the "Decompress incoming video frames only when required" is checked this occurs.

This isn't a new bug. I reported it fairly soon after 4.0 was released. Exactly the same issue. Eventually I found the same work around - "decompress only when required" doesn't work properly. I suspect the difference might be that it may be turned on by default in 4.1?

[https://www.bensoftware.com/forum/discussion/comment/4410#Comment_4410]
    Ian
  • Hi @dct thanks for the feedback, this could indeed be a bug by the sounds of it.

I assume you have continuous-capture enabled, and it is these captures that have a low frame rate? Can you tell me what frame rate is displayed for the camera in question in the "All Cameras" window? Also what frame rate have you specified for the "Capture rate" under Preferences -> Cameras -> Continuous Capture? Finally, is the "Recompress video data" option turned off or on, under Preferences -> Cameras -> Device?
  • I've had no network errors since upgrading to 4.1b5 on Feb 1st.
    I just tried the PTZ controls - presets- again - first attempt crashed SS (sent report) - started up again without any problem. Tried PTZ controls again - didn't crash this time, but same as before, first press doesn't seem to go to camera, second press on a preset works fine.
  • onvif with Reolink cams (one's that error out) streams do not join at all in 4.0.10, so "decompression failed" error is not reproducible...also I was on 4.1b4 when that was observed...now running 4.1b5 & have not seen that issue appear at this time.
  • The problem occurs when Continuous capture is on, but motion detect is off, and the live feed is not being displayed - i.e. when theres not reason for SS to actually process the data before dumping it to disk.

When "All Camera's" live feed is open I'm getting around 10-12fps as expected from the settings on the cameras, and (barring a few network glitches) the feed is generally stable.

Continous capture rate is set to 2fps, but recompress video data is off (so 2fps should be ignored). I think when I was testing this I did try tweaking this setting and it had no effect.

Ian

• Hi @dct - thanks for the information, this should now be fixed in the new beta just posted (4.1b7). Please confirm.
  • @BrianM - could you please email us the crash log? These are located in the ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder (within your user folder).

To get to the Library folder, hold the alt key while clicking the Finder's Go menu, and select the Library item that will appear in this menu.
  • @ben - from running a quick test, that seems to have sorted it!

thanks
  • Great, thanks for reporting back!
  • 4.1b7 seems to work fine, running 3 days now, no issues
  • 4.1b7 now running since the 6th - no errors or crashes in that time.
  • Hi Ben,

I am testing 4.1b8 and I still have a codec mismatch error.
    I've seen this error lot's of times before (not only with this beta).

This is a D-Link 5222L PTZ camera.
    The strange thing is that the error is always occuring at exact time intervals :

13/02/2017 13:29:18: There was an error while recording audio data for camera "Tuin - Verdiep". 4.1b8,7460,50885 Failed to record audio chunk. Audio codec mismatch.

13/02/2017 13:39:18: There was an error while recording audio data for camera "Tuin - Verdiep". 4.1b8,7460,50885 Failed to record audio chunk. Audio codec mismatch.

13/02/2017 13:49:18: There was an error while recording audio data for camera "Tuin - Verdiep". 4.1b8,7460,50885 Failed to record audio chunk. Audio codec mismatch.

13/02/2017 13:59:18: There was an error while recording audio data for camera "Tuin - Verdiep". 4.1b8,7460,50885 Failed to record audio chunk. Audio codec mismatch.

I'll see if power cycling the camera helps...

• Installed the beta yesterday after setting up a new home wireless router (Netgear R6400).

PTZ controls work as expected for D-Link DCS-5020L.

I'm using the new email relay for one of my cameras. Seems to work great!

Connection / frame rate from cameras seems to be more stable, but that might also be due to the better signal from the new router (two cams are wireless, two wired).

I'll let you know if I find anything else. As always, thank you very much for everything you do!
  • Hi @petecam I have made some changes that I hope will fix this error message - please try the new beta (4.1b9) and let me know.

This error is generated when the audio codec of the movie being captured is different from the format of incoming audio. It's possible that this is happening because the file is being created before the audio input is fully initialised, and if this is the case the changes should fix this. The error will be generated for every incoming audio chunk, but SecuritySpy doesn't report the same message twice within 10 minutes in order to avoid bombardment with the same message over and over again, which is why you see the repetition every 10 minutes exactly.

If you are still getting this problem with b9, please let me know what type of camera you are using (i.e. network camera or USB camera etc.)

Thanks!
  • Many thanks to everyone who tested the beta and provided feedback, this was very helpful. We have just released the official update to SecuritySpy, so I will now close this discussion.
This discussion has been closed.