Skip to content

Foscam FI9816P and PTZ

edited May 2015 in Cameras
I managed to get a Foscam FI9816P working with SecuritySpy 3.4.7 (for anyone else who might need to do so, use port 554 for HTTP and RTSP, H.264 RTSP (video and audio) setting). It works with Device Type Foscam H.264 selected. However, I can't get the PTZ to work at all (well, the PT, it doesn't have Z). It appears to be functional since the camera will rotate when rebooting. The button appears that says "Open PTZ Window" but when I click on the buttons nothing happens. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Figured it out... changed the HTTP port to 88... duh.
  • Hi Steve,

Good to see you figured out the problem.

Can you please let us know your experiences of this camera - does it work reliably? What's the video quality like?

Thanks.
  • edited June 2015
    I am facing the same problem and searching to solve the problem occur with my cam. Thanks for this useful information and resolve it early.
  • Just wanted to say thanks Steve Jones, after some googling i found this thread, had no idea about the port number.
  • And ben, the camera works great now that i know the port. It's 720p h.264, and it looks pretty much like my FI9821's.
  • Hi @jessedegenerate - thanks for your feedback, this is very useful.
  • It's been far too long but here's a quick review of the FI9816P. It does have good image quality, akin to the other 720p Foscams I've tried. The IR lights seem to throw a bit farther than the other cameras, which I find handy as I'm using this one in a basement to monitor for leaks/floods. The image quality in low light with IR is quite good, too.

However, there's a bit of a glitch with PTZ. The instructions are sent all right but the camera seems to interpret a single command as a constant one, so the camera moves continuously to the end of its range rather than one step at a time. I've not had this happen with any other Foscam I've used so far (not that I've used them all, of course). I haven't been able to figure out any workaround. For my purposes it's still useful, though I have to make sure when mounting it to center it at the view that I want, in the event there's a power outage and it cycles off and back on.
  • steve, jesse, can you tell me how easy it is to pull up and manage this camera in a web browser? Easy to do via Firefox on the mac? No weird plug-ins or special browser requirements? Thanks!