Skip to content

SS Overload...

edited May 2015 in SecuritySpy
I'm looking for recommendations on a different hardware setup. I purchased a MacMini 2.6Ghz i5 8GB/1T but will be saving files to an external 3T RAID. I've got 18) Dahua IPC-HFW4300S 3MP HD Network Security Cameras strapped to the Mini through a Cisco managed POE switch. I understand that this is WAY overloaded but I've tried to "dumb-down" the cameras to see if I can get the whole thing to work properly. I guess my question would be, will this setup work at some (any) level? Right now I've got the camera resolutions set to 1080p and all of them to 3fps. It'll run all day long in Passive Mode, but when it tries to switch to "Active" mode, it instantly crashes Security Spy. Next question would be on the System Requirements Calculator... Do these numbers apply to older MacPros or are the recommendations predicated on the current crop of MacPros introduced in 2013?

Comments

• I might also add that I've got all cameras set to not capture continuously and in Activity Monitor, it's showing CPU usage in the low 200%+ all the time. Anything that will help in terms of best practices will much appreciated!
  • Hi Eric,

Your Mac mini is indeed rather overloaded with so many high-resolution cameras. But by lowering the frame rates and/or resolutions you should be able to get it working well, and it can still be a highly effective video surveillance system. I would personally prefer keeping the full resolutions but lowering frame rates until the CPU usage is under control.

I would recommend following the advice in the Optimising Performance section of the user manual. Specifically you want SecuritySpy to be saving the H.264 video from the cameras directly to disk without any additional encoding. You achieve this via the "No recompression" option in the Video Device Settings window, and making sure that SecuritySpy's text overlay, video blanking, and transformation features are not being used.

The crashes may be due to the Mac being overloaded, and the above settings changes may resolve this, but I'd like to have a look at this to check. Please can you locate the crash log files and email these to us. In the Finder, hold the alt (option) key and click the Go menu, select Library, and within this Library folder, navigate to Logs and then DiagnosticReports. The crash log files are here - just send a few of the recent ones.
  • Ben, thanks for getting back. I'm still tinkering with it, but right now, I've got 3 operating in TL, the rest in MD, all at 1080p and 3fps. It's hitting the CPU at 207%+- and seems to be happy. Before slowing everything down, if I'd take all cameras to "Active", it would crash the app every time. Today at one point, I got a "Broken Pipe" (EPIPE) on all 18. In another grouping in the log, I got "Excessive packet loss..." It only seems to have done that once since taking them all online.... and seems to be doing its thing now.
  • Hi Eric,

"Broken Pipe" is a network problem, causing a disconnect of the connection. If it happened on all cameras at once, this could be your ethernet switch restarting, or some other network-related issue. When this happens SecuritySpy will reconnect to the cameras automatically, so as long as it's not happening too often, it isn't a big problem.

The "excessive packet loss" message happens when some packets in the RTP stream are not received by SecuritySpy for whatever reason. Again, if this isn't happening often then you don't have to worry; it will simply result in a few frames of bad video.

Glad to hear everything is basically working well at 3fps.
  • I've had 20 cameras on my SS instance with no problems, though many of them are much lower resolution than 1080 (though quite a few are 1080 or at least 720.) This is using an older Xserve (2,1 2.8ghz with 8 cores total) but that machine is considerably "slower" than the new Minis, I thought. With 19 cameras doing motion detection on 17 cameras at 10+fps average on a variety of resolutions right now and 100% TL coverage (1 frame per 10 seconds each) I'm hovering at around 412%, which is about half utilized. Lots of the cameras are doing the encoding, and I'm not really compressing anything so it's mostly just motion detection that does the work. I haven't really spent any time figuring this out, but I'm guessing that more cores is better here.

Some of the descriptions you gave are network-related, as you mention. What is the throughput on the connection between the Mac and the switch? Errors? You can measure this with the built-in Activity Monitor.app in MacOS but it's not very granular and has only a tiny slice of history.

If you have a spare Linux box somewhere, or even if you're just running another Mac with VMWare Fusion, I'd say fire up a copy of Observium or LibreNMS (a fork of Observium.) This is an SNMP-based tool that is super-easy to get going and will monitor all of the data on your Cisco switch, and also on your cameras and Mac if you turn SNMP on in those elements as well. There are VM images available for both ready-to-go. This will let you graph all of the stuff going on in the network, which is really a requirement for figuring out what devices are doing what, and with what errors (if any.)
  • Good day, jtodd and Ben! Well, we did it... I stepped up and bought a new Mac Pro to run SS and it's trucking along very nicely. It'll be fun to step everything up and see what happens... I do have one question though... In Activity Monitor as it is currently set up, it's showing % CPU at 238% +- for the Security Spy application. Looking down to the lower left hand corner of the screen, it's showing 6.6% System, 27.88% User and the graph is showing a relatively minor "CPU Load". There seems to be a disconnect with these numbers or am I somehow misinterpreting what its telling me?
  • Hi Eric,

Great to hear things are working well with your new Mac Pro.

I can see why the Activity Monitor percentages can be a bit confusing. Basically, in the list of processes it is showing a percentage equivalent to "how much of one CPU core is being used", and hence if you have an 8-core Mac, 238% usage equates to roughly 30% usage of the total Mac's processing power. In this case, if one process were using all of the Mac's 8 cores fully, it would be shown as having an 800% CPU usage.

The percentages at the bottom of the window, by contrast, are for the total processing power of all the CPU cores of the Mac, so it makes sense that the figure shown here is 30%.

In addition, the Xeon E5 processors in your Mac Pro (as well as the i7 processors in other Mac models) have a feature called "Hyper-Threading", where each physical core presents two "virtual cores" that, to some extent, can run two threads simultaneously. In this case, even though the machine might have 4 physical cores, all software that runs on the Mac (including SecuritySpy and Activity Monitor) will see 8 cores.

Hope this helps.
  • so if shopping for a mac pro (11/2015), do we go for max cores at the expense of speed?

i am looking at an install using an axis p7216 with 16 cams.
  • Hi @sfmacguy - unless the other specs of the machine (processor GHz speed, CPU generation, bus speed etc.) are very significantly different, then yes the number of cores is going to be the biggest factor that determines the performance of SecuritySpy. If you have to particular machines in mind, please post the specs here so we can give you some more definitive advice.