Skip to content

Q-See QCN7001B

edited November 2013 in Cameras
I'm trying to upgrade the quality of my outdoor cameras around my home. I went with the Q-See as recommended in the blog. So far I've bought two of them to try.

The picture quality seems good but the video drops from active to no connection about once every minute or two. Wired connections, no real load on the network, POE.

Bad cameras or do I need to modify the configuration.

Any tips would be appreciated. Joe

Comments

• BenBen
    edited November 2013
    Hi Joe,

I haven't heard this issue before with these cameras, we have one of them ourselves and it has proven to be very reliable. The first thing to check is that you are using the latest version of SecuritySpy. Then, check the network: a bad switch or bad ethernet cables could cause these kinds of problems. Then, check the SecuritySpy log file that you will find in ~/Documents/SecuritySpy/ - if you email this to us we'll take a look (or post a few of the recent entries here).
  • Thanks for the suggestions.

The error I was seeing was "11-07-13 1736-26: Error communicating with the network device "Network camera 1" 3.0.4,10,835 Excessive packet loss from network device, the network may be too slow or defective, or this computer may be overloaded. Check the network and/or reduce this camera's frame rate. "

But as you can see I was a version behind on my install. I've installed the 3.1.2 and all seems to be fine now.

Thanks again, Joe
  • Alas, my victory was short lived. I'm finding the log filling with these errors:

11-07-2013 1952-45: Error communicating with the network device "Network camera 2" 3.1.2,10,835 Excessive packet loss from network device, the network may be too slow or defective, or this computer may be overloaded. Check the network and/or reduce this camera's frame rate.

11-07-2013 1952-45: Error communicating with the network device "Network camera 1" 3.1.2,10,835 Excessive packet loss from network device, the network may be too slow or defective, or this computer may be overloaded. Check the network and/or reduce this camera's frame rate.

One is connected directly to the gigabit switch the mac is connected to. None of my other 5 other cameras (mix of foscam and dlink) are having any troubles.
  • We get the same error, but our camera ended up not working even on any line we attempted. The video would work for about 30 minutes and then go black and not work again until we unplugged it and plugged it back in. We tested the lines thoroughly, switched cameras, and still same error, no video. This was unrelated to security spy, but we also get the constant error as mentioned above by other member.

The only difference is that although we get this error message of the 8 cameras we have used (Dahua IPC-HFW4300S 3MP HD Network Security Camera) the only one that ever went blank (video) and continued was the defective one we returned. We get the same error on all our cameras, but none of them go blank as of yet.

So was this error message determined to be a network line issue with POE cameras?

Error communicating with the network device "Back East Corner" 3.2.1,10,835 Excessive packet loss from network device, the network may be too slow or defective, or this computer may be overloaded. Check the network and/or reduce this camera's frame rate.
  • I'm experiencing similar error massages with a QCN 7001b.

"02-11-2014 0833-04: There was an error while setting up the camera "Driveway1" 3.2.1,33,65 No route to host (EHOSTUNREACH)

02-11-2014 0833-36: Error sending an email 3.2.1,127045,8

02-11-2014 0834-41: Error communicating with the network device "Driveway1" 3.2.1,10,835 Excessive packet loss from network device, the network may be too slow or defective, or this computer may be overloaded. Check the network and/or reduce this camera's frame rate. "
  • Ben, I'm getting similar faults also from two Qsee QCN8004-2D (costco) cameras. It's like a death spiral; just a sample over time;
    3.4,10,835 Excessive packet loss
    3.4,70900,800 The operation timed out
    3.4,70219,32 Broken pipe (EPIPE)
    3.4,33,64 Host is down (EHOSTDOWN)
    3.4,33,65 No route to host (EHOSTUNREACH)

I have (2) cameras on cat 5e cable to a gigabit switch, and cat 5e cable direct to a quad mac mini. They work fine for a while, but then crap out over a month. It's hot here in So Cal recently, so it might be related.

PS, mac users should not buy the -2D Costco versions. These are not Mac Friendly. The web server in the -2d version requires a Windows plugin. If you buy the non- 2d version, from example Newegg, then Safari and Mozilla work normally, but the price is double.
  • It sounds like your network configuration is absolutely fine, and of course easily fast enough for the cameras. When this happens, how often to these error occur? If it's a few times per day you can ignore them, but if it's much more frequently then this does indicate a problem somewhere. Have you tried updating the firmware on the cameras to the latest version?
  • Ben, & Company,

I've been able to drop the quantity of Qsee camera drops by adjusting the internal settings on the cameras. I turned off the snapshots, internal storage, dropped the frame rates from 30 to 15, and capped the bit rate (default is 8mb, instead try 4 or 2mb).

My cameras would idle at a 12-15 fps, but when motion was detected, they surge to 30fps. Turn motion off also, and everything else that it might do. Keep track of what you do though. If you get in trouble, you can select 'default' and it will reset that page of settings.

At night, I set them to low motion blur, and WDR on. Works pretty well.
  • Thanks for this information DsrtRngr - this is going to be very helpful to other users!