Skip to content

Spreadsheet template for recording SS server technical details

edited April 2014 in SecuritySpy
I've created a Google Sheets spreadsheet to track details of my SecuritySpy systems (mine, and ones I've installed). There are always lots of details to track on multi-camera systems: license details, IP addresses and ports, login credentials, and more.

My sheet focuses heavily on the types of details that a Foscam camera-based system might track, but the sheet is of course easily modifiable for whatever information you need to track. It's better than plain text notes, and it's better than trying to remember it all, especially if you're administering multiple systems.

Anyways, I want to share it with other users here so you can make it a part of your record keeping plan if you want. I've Published it to the web via Google Drive, which means you can view but not edit it. The Google Sheets original version that I'm working from has notes in a number of cells as a guide to what to enter, but those are only visible when you're included as a collaborator on the original document.

If you want to save a copy locally in your own Google Drive account to use it yourself, I can share a separate copy directly with you if needed. I could try to send an Excel version of it if you prefer that.

There is fake/sample data in this read-only shared version to guide you as a first glance. Note that none of the URLs are real - they are there as an example. The green cells are information that you enter, and the pink cells are automatically calculated/generated from combining information from the green cells. It's handy for system planning, etc.

Take a look and let me know if you have questions.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AvfgpmvTMlM08RykbcQIQ_ZsjmQ00AX0-PU14enVXeI/pubhtml

James

Comments

• Thanks James - this is excellent! Using Google Docs for this is a great idea. Hopefully this will be helpful for other users.
  • edited April 2014
    I've updated the shared document to include an instructions sheet - showing my mindset for each of the recorded bits of information. It's a bit like a mini-tutorial on some best practices that I've discovered over time. This is not to say that the existing SS documentation is lacking - it's not, it's extremely well written.

I've tried a variety of apps and web services to track and share this information - Numbers on iCloud, Evernote, Dropbox, Box, Tap Forms (iOS App), 1Password (yes, you can customize fields), and many others. I've settled on Google Drive (or Google Docs, depending on what you like to call it) for now for the easiest sharing.