Skip to content

lot of disconnections after upgrading to 8 cameras

edited May 2020 in SecuritySpy
Hi, after upgrading ss to 8 cameras license ive got a lot of disconnections, eve if the cameras are online and accesible via http or app camera.
When i see disconnections i try to reach camera via app or http and everything is ok except ss.
i have a mac mini 8gb with ssd, cpu is round 8%, cameras ar 20fps with 1980X1080 resolution, can you please help me?

Comments

• The specific SecuritySpy camera license won't have any impact on this. However, if you have recently added some cameras to your system, this could be the cause. Without knowing more information is is very difficult to diagnose the problem, but in general here are the things to check:

- Make sure all cameras are running the latest firmware available from their manufacturers.

- If the camera are connected by WiFi, this could be the problem. It is far more reliable to connect them by wired Ethernet.

- For a system of this size, your Mac should certainly be connected to your network by wired Ethernet and not WiFi.

- You could try reducing the frame rate of your cameras. If your network isn't fast enough to support 20fps, it may be fast enough to support 10fps.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, please email us and include the following:

- The log file (File menu in SecuritySpy -> Open Log)
    - The make/models of your cameras
    - The make/model of your Ethernet switch
    - How the cameras and Mac are connected to your network
  • - Make sure all cameras are running the latest firmware available from their manufacturers.

yes

- If the camera are connected by WiFi, this could be the problem. It is far more reliable to connect them by wired Ethernet.

not possible, all connected to wifi

- For a system of this size, your Mac should certainly be connected to your network by wired Ethernet and not WiFi.

its wired

- You could try reducing the frame rate of your cameras. If your network isn't fast enough to support 20fps, it may be fast enough to support 10fps.

i'll test, but i can only adjust 2-4 of the seven connected

- The make/models of your cameras
    2 szsinocam
    2 yi cam home
    2 dafang
    1 nvr ptz chinese cam

All connected with ONVIF profile except dafang ones wich are with xiaomi profile

- The make/model of your Ethernet switch

unmanage d-link 8 ports
  • set them (4) to 10fps, can you please tell me correct bitrate?
  • The problem is most likely that your cameras are all connected by WiFi and not by wired Ethernet. WiFi is far less reliable, and can lead to these kinds of problems.

Connect as many cameras as you can by wired Ethernet, and reduce the frame rates for the cameras that you can configure. You may also want to look into a WiFi mesh system to improve your WiFi signal throughout your property (e.g. the Netgear Orbi or Tenda MW6 - in either case make sure all mesh nodes are themselves connected by wired Ethernet). However, no matter how good your WiFi coverage is, with 8 cameras over WiFi, connection instability is inevitable.

The other thing that we were in communication about previously is the problem of your cameras changing their stream format mid-stream. When this happens, SecuritySpy will (now) detect this and close/open the device, and you will get a "Stream format changed" message in the log file. If you are seeing these messages frequently from one of your cameras, then the best solution is to replace that camera with a different one (ideally, one on our list of supported cameras). If this happens only infrequently (e.g. once or twice per day) it's not a problem, but if this happens frequently then this could be a significant problem.
  • In terms of bit rate:

If the cameras have Variable Bit Rate encoding (VBR) then you should set this, with a medium/high quality setting.

If the cameras only have Constant Bit Rate (CBR), then you should try a few different bit rate options and choose one that gives good video quality.
  • but why, the cameras are respondig with their own app or via http? if ss is telling me are disconnected?
  • Maybe yo want to test my camera to see what’s going on?
  • After some tests, with fps i can confirm behavior is the same, estrange cause i had the same number of cameras before ss and always when i tried to see any of them where working, actually they are working fine but ss is disconnecting. i thing stability with my wifi is correct have 2 airport extreme and 1 airport time capsule running nearly 50 devices with no issue or disconnection. On the other hand i dont think without any test or try tell me i have to buy another camera as this one is working fine, no issues, but out of ss. is one try relevant, ss says problem or disconnection then go to camera app o web interface of the camera and everything is ok, even responding pings, etc. A bit disappointed about your answer.
  • I forgot to say that i had them in homebridge-ffmpeg plugin running without any issue.
  • As I mentioned, without further information, this problem is difficult to diagnose. To give you a more definitive answer, I need the information I requested above, specifically the SecuritySpy log file. There are many reasons for camera disconnections, and the primary reason for most users is an unreliable network (usually WiFi). This may or may not be the case with your system, but this is the main cause of these errors for most users, which is why it was my first suggestion. If you can email us the log file I will be able to tell you more after looking at the specific messages and error codes.
  • I will send you know