Skip to content

anyone try Ubiquity cameras

2»

Comments

• Yes, I believe so. In my experience, UniFi cameras in standalone mode appear reliably in SS but when same cameras are enrolled in Protect, the streams are not accessible to SS.
  • Earlier comment is wrong!

If you have Unifi Protect (not the older Unifi video), it works perfectly.

The key is to understand that you have to go into the camera configuration in the Unifi Protect web console and enable RTSP mode. That will generate a URL.

Test that URL using VLC app to verify it is working and then you have what you need to put into SecuritySpy. (I'm not at my system right now so cannot look to tell you the exact syntax).

You also need to understand that the Unifi camera stays in "Unifi" proprietary mode - you don't switch the camera firmware to RTSP - that would disconnect it from Unifi Protect (but be usable as a standalone camera).

The Unifi Protect server is exposing the Unifi cameras you enable for RTSP as a virtual camera stream. So the IP address you enter in SecuritySpy will be the address of your Unifi Protect / CloudKey Gen2 Plus box, NOT the cameras themselves.

This is really cool - let's me use Unifi Protect and the great mobile, web, and AppleTV apps for real-time viewing and clip viewing with much better UI, but still feed a copy of the feed into SecuritySpy for easy additional storage and options.

You can use SecuritySpy to create different motion triggers and experiment with the ML/AI in parallel to the the Unifi apps.
  • @Spiv, thanks for the feedback and I appreciate the correction as I had been using UniFi cameras either in UniFi Video for Protect OR Standalone for SecuritySpy. I've done what you recommend, I can see a UniFi camera feed via URL in VLC.

My URL looks something like this:

rtsp://192.168.1.225:7447/p97YgGeRvHWR01G

When I paste the same URL into SecuritySpy and click Apply, SS changes the address to 192.168.1.225 and I get a connection error.

What are the steps to get this camera working in SS?

1. what address syntax should I enter?
    2. do I enter 7447 in either of SS's port boxes?
    3. user name, password, profile stay the same?

Anything else?

Thanks again!
  • Here's my settings:

Address: 10.20.9.1
    RTSP port: 7447
    Profile: Manual configuration
    Format: RTSP (video and audio)
    Request: f6Bm7SA90(etc -obfuscated here)
  • That exactly works! I have the same UniFi camera working in UniFi Protect and SecuritySpy simultaneously. In addition to Protect, I happen to have some older UniFi NVRs in the field. Do you happen to know if this same structure will work with UniFi Video and SS? Awesome guidance, thank you again.
  • The RTSP (video and audio) profile doesn't seem to work well for me, lots of stalls and jumps. But RTSP UDP RTSP (video and audio) is better. I also had to disable HW acceleration. Otherwise set as Spiv suggests.