Problem setting up Dahua DH-HAC-HFW2100S using an iMac
  • When I read the forums, it appears that others have been able to use the Dahua camera connected to different Apple computers. I have had no luck on my iMac. I had to take the camera to my neighour who has a PC where we were able to configure it to an IP that I could access. The camera performed perfectly setup on his PC.
    With the new IP I am able to login to the camera using a browser on my iMac. However, once logged in I am greeted with "Please click here to download and install the plug-in." That only worked on my friend's PC—not on my iMac. On the iMac I can view much about the camera's setup but I cannot get it to display video. Is there a work-around to get an Apple-friendly version of that plug-in?
    I have downloaded SecuritySpy for a trial an am impressed with its interface. I get to see the iSight video but the networked Dahua camera only shows blue with "Communication error".
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    (iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
  • Sorry to hear you had trouble, the Dahua cams can be a bit tricky to set up but as you have now set yours up with an IP that can be accessed over your local network, you have done the hard work.

You may not be able to get the camera to display in a Mac web browser (these plugins tend to be Windows-only), but you should have no problem using it with SecuritySpy. In SecuritySpy, you set up the camera as follows:

- In the Video Device Settings window, create a new network device
    - Select "Dahua Technology" as the Device type
    - Enter the camera's IP address, but leave the port boxes empty
    - Enter the camera's username/password

Does this work for you?
  • I have just purchased a Dahua myself this week, along with SecuritySpy.

You sound to have done the hard part which for me was finding the IP address and getting that swapped to something I wanted.

I too, when bringing up the IP camera admin page, are prompted to install a plugin - I decided to skip that, not a big fan of browser plugins no matter who the supplier is (Flash uck!),

I pasted the IP into SecuritySpy, selected Dahua as a device type and filled in the username / password.

Bingo!
  • Thank you, Ben. I had completely overlooked the very comprehensive device list. Working perfectly now.
    And, gurth, glad we are both successful. Yes, "Bingo!"
  • Are you all getting the 3MP resolution in Security Spy with this camera? I am not. I can get 1080P but that is it.
  • Must use h.264 Encode Mode to get the data stream. FYI

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!