Viewing and Recording to less fps than set
  • Hey guys,
    I'm trying the demo software, and I'm pleased with the simplicity of it. Although the main issue I have, is that even if I set my StarDot netowrk cameras to 25 fps, I can only see/record at most 4 fps. I'm trying to change Device/Camera/Compression Settings but nothins happens.

Do you know why this could be happening?

Kind regards,
    Enzo
  • Hi Enzo,

In the "All cameras" video window, what is the FPS reported there? This is the FPS that SecuritySpy is receiving from the camera (which will of course determine the maximum FPS for recordings).

What is the exact model of StarDot camera you are using?

What are the specifications of your Mac?

Please can you describe exactly how the cameras are connected to the computer (e.g. ethernet cable to switch/router, ethernet cable to Mac - or ethernet cable to switch/router, wireless to Mac?).

Finally, please open Activity Monitor (which you will find in your /Applications/Utilities/ folder) - what is reported there for SecuritySpy's CPU usage?
  • Thanks Ben for your quick reply. Please find answers below:

In the "All cameras" video window, what is the FPS reported there? This is the FPS that SecuritySpy is receiving from the camera (which will of course determine the maximum FPS for recordings).
    - There is 2-3fps. I'm also testing on IQEye cameras and on those one is 15 fps, when I set them to 30 fps. On the camera settings, I set resolution to 1280x720 (30fps)

What is the exact model of StarDot camera you are using?
    -H264+Netcam SC (Multi=Megapixel Hybrid IP Camera

What are the specifications of your Mac?
    -Macbook Pro OS X 10.8.5 2GHz Intel Core i7 - 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Please can you describe exactly how the cameras are connected to the computer (e.g. ethernet cable to switch/router, ethernet cable to Mac - or ethernet cable to switch/router, wireless to Mac?).
    -I connected this 2 cameras to a PoE Port through Ethernet cable, and I have connected this Port to my Macbook with an Ethernet Cable

Finally, please open Activity Monitor (which you will find in your /Applications/Utilities/ folder) - what is reported there for SecuritySpy's CPU usage?
    - 6.2%
  • Thanks for the information. It definitely sounds like the frame rate is not being limited by the computer or network, so it must be the camera that is sending frames slowly for some reason. Here are some things to try:

- In the Video Device Settings window, set the device type to "Manual".
    - Select "HTTP" from the Format menu.
    - Enter "nph-mjpeg.cgi" (without quotes) as the Request

If that doesn't do it, try something like "nph-mjpeg.cgi?fps=10" to specify a frame rate.

Alternatively, to access the camera's H.264 stream:

- In the Video Device Settings window, set the device type to "Manual".
    - Select "RTSP" from the Format menu.
    - Enter "nph-h264.cgi" (without quotes) as the Request

Another thought I had: some of these cameras are capable of extremely high resolutions (up to 10 MP), what is the maximum resolution of your camera? As the resolution goes up, the frame rate goes down, so even if you have specified a frame rate of 1280x720, could the camera be sending a higher-resolution stream?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!