Skip to content

remote patrol having issues

edited June 2014 in SecuritySpy
remote patrol can see security spy no problem. live views of cams. no issues.

problems:
1) no push notifications when motion detected (i get emails)
2) when i click on a camera and then look for captured footage, i select an event, it loads up the player.... "loading..." endless progress wheel. never comes up even on local network and low bandwidth files. also, clicking done doesn't do anything. the app is stuck at this point. have to force quit it to regain control.

any ideas?

Comments

• Hi Garrett,

1) Make sure you are on the latest version of SecuirtySpy, version 3.4 currently.
    http://www.bensoftware.com/forum/discussion/743/remote-patrol-stopped-giving-notifications-2-weeks-ago#Item_5

Also, double check your setting both in SecuritySpy and Remote Patrol.
    http://remotepatrol.co/remote-patrol-2/#notifications

Verify that Remote Patrol has notification enabled in the iPhone system settings.

2) Can you playback the same footage using the iPhone and Safari?

Rob
  • I deleted and redownloaded Remote Patrol and that seemed to fix the push problem. So YAY on that one

I tried accessing the web-server on thru Safari on the iPhone (and the Mac) and I can see a list of files but clicking on them on iOS brings up a broken QT icon.

Ironically on Safari on the Mac, I get a QT logo and thats it... nothing else.

Playing it back on the host mac thru the built-in browser works.

As far as cameras are concerned - they are Logitech 750's. Here are the settings:

In Prefs > Compression settings for local capture > NONE
    Camera settings (greyed out) Format > H.264 RTSP

Any ideas???

• I'm not sure what would be causing that. The folks at SecuritySpy might be able to shed some light on this since it is a problem on the Mac and Safari for iOS too. Perhaps try turning on MPEG-4 compression?

Rob
  • Glad you got it working after turning on MPEG-4 compression. By the way, in order to view captured footage using HTTPS. you need a certificate from a certificate authority, not just the one built into SecuritySpy. SecuritySpy has a blog on the subject here: http://bensoftware.com/blog/purchase-ssl-certificate-securityspy/ This is an iOS requirement and not a program limitation of Remote Patrol (for the record).

Rob
  • Awesome awesome. So now technical question on the compression. That's only being used when I access the files remotely right? Kits not converting the files that are being fed from cams? If it's an on the fly thing then should I use h264? More efficient. I don't care about the overhead if it's just being used for remote playback because that won't be often.
  • Hi ravedog - the camera will be sending H.264 video to SecuritySpy. Ideally you want to set SecuritySpy to record this directly to disk with no further compression performed in software, as described by the Optimising Performance section of the SecuritySpy user manual. This will give you the best performance and quality, and should result in files that can be played on iOS as well as Mac and Windows web browsers.

Setting the compression format in SecuritySpy to "None" is not generally recommended, as this may result in uncompressed video being saved to the captured files - this produces huge file sizes and would explain why they weren't working in Safari.

Hope this helps.