SLOC device for using existing Cameras over Coax?
  • Does anyone have experience with using SLOC (Security Link over Coax) device(s) to use with SecuritySpy software.
    There's the Altronix eBridge1CR for a single camera, they make a 16 camera receiver as well.
    Just curious any have used a SLOC Device?
    What did you use?
    How did it work?

Thanks!
    Keith
  • Hi Keith,

SLOC is interesting. Essentially it's a technology that allows you to set up an ethernet connection over a coax cable - useful for when you have existing coax cabling from a previous-generation analog CCTV system and you want to use IP cameras without having to install new cabling.

So for one camera you would have:

IP camera -> eBridge -> coax cable -> eBridge -> switch -> computer running SecuritySpy

SecuritySpy running on the computer would see the IP camera, just as if it were connected over standard Cat 5/6 ethernet cabling. I've never personally used such devices, though I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work. However, unless installation of new cabling would be a very big and expensive job, I would advise installing new Cat 5/6 ethernet cabling instead, as ultimately this is going to give you a more reliable system. For every critical device you add to a system you are introducing a possible failure mode, and as we know from Murphy's law, anything that can go wrong will go wrong!
  • I've implemented several of these in my house, and I'm getting 100mbps over coax, and pushing many channels of video to SSpy. Not bad for USD$10 per end! They cannot "share" with other services, and they are strictly "point-to-point" but worlds cheaper than re-stringing network cable where I already have unused coax from old satellite installs.

DIRECTV Broadband DECA Ethernet to Coax Adapter (DCA2SR0 ) Generation II

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVK1ITI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JT

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!