Skip to content

Blueprint for dual home system using Macs

edited February 2014 in General
Hi all - Although I purchased SS years ago for an office surveillance system, I now want to set up something for my home that utilizes 2 systems—one for the front of my house (including street traffic) that ideally, would use better quality/night-vision cameras (probably no more than 2-3), and a system for the side and rear yards that would have around 4 cameras max but wouldn't require higher definition cameras.

I'd prefer using an Apple Mac-based system as I need the ability to enhance any footage or stills and the proprietary, turn-key systems don't allow for that—plus that's what I currently use at home. I've had several surveillance companies come out and try to sell me basic systems (or else don't get back to me) but I might as well go to Costco for what they're proposing.

My reason for needing hi-res cameras for the front is that I've had numerous packages stolen from my porch and suspect someone knows I receive a lot from UPS, FedEx, and USPS, so I need to be able to define facial features, etc. when submitting the files to our local PD.

Can anyone steer me into a basic, but robust configuration using Mac computers for 2 separate systems? Or if you know of anyone in the Southern California area who is familiar with surveillance camera systems, that'd be great!

Comments

• Hi, Morrislives, welcome to the forum. What you've described is fairly straightforward. A couple challenges will be choosing apt cameras for the trap zones, evaluating available light for nighttime viewing, and deciding how to run new network connections. I've used wireless cameras successfully where needed but for reliability and speed I strongly prefer a hardwired connection. On the more affordable side, I've had good luck with cameras from www.sharxsecurity.com. Axis cameras are somewhat more costly but are very high quality and play well with SecuritySpy. Also, a ton of demos and educational info on their site: www.axis.com . In the event you're looking for direct assistance setting this up, I'll shoot you a private message as well. Good luck!
  • I agree with ConvenInteg - using wired cameras will give you much better performance and reliability than wireless. It sounds like you need some high-res bullet cameras with night-vision for the outside areas of your property. The Dahua IPC-HFW3200S would seem to be suitable for the job, and great value. As mentioned above, Axis cameras are consistently high-quality, but they don't do many with night-vision, and they tend to be a bit more expensive.

With a surveillance company you often don't know exactly what you're going to get - many tend to use low-quality cheap cameras and recording boxes that don't work well with Mac. It's better to put together a system yourself and hire an electrician to install it to your specification. We also have a network of resellers over the world who do installation - you might want to check if there is one close to you.