Hikvision camera support
  • Hi

I'm currently thinking of replacing my cheap Foscams I started out with.

I quite like the quality of the Hikvision.
    I noticed only the one version is supported.
    Will more be supported or can other versions be configured?

Many thanks Phil
  • Hi Phil, the one currently on our list is the one we've tested but I'm confident that they will all work with SecuritySpy. Simply use the existing Hikvision profile, or the ONVIF profile (all the Hikvision cameras seem to be ONVIF-compatible, which is another reason why they are highly likely to all work with SecuritySpy). If you decide to go for Hikvision please report back and let us know how you get on.
  • Hello Ben and Phil

I have Hikvision cameras set up at my school. They are fantastic and offer amazing HD quality. The static cameras work brilliantly with Security Spy but the PTZ camera isn't controllable through the Security Spy software. This is a BIG let down. I have tried the ONVIF profile, but this doesn't work at all. I've tried a few different settings.

Is there a camera plugin update that will fix this issue?

Thanks

Jonathan
  • Hi Jonathan,

Instead of the ONVIF profile, try the Hikvision profile that is already built into SecuritySpy (via the Device type menu in the Video Device Settings window). It has PTZ control enabled on it - can you test this and report back? If this doesn't resolve it for you there are other things we can try.
  • Agreed, the Hikvision cameras have worked great for the money.
  • I just added two Hikvision dome cameras to my SecuritySpy system (DS-2CD2132-I Outdoor HD 3MP) they are great cameras for the price but do not have great IR capabilities in total darkness. The SecuritySpy profile worked fine however it thinks they are PTZ which they are not. It would be great if there was a profile for this camera that eliminated the PTZ option. If you attempt to use PTZ you will get an error log that PZT failed. All-in-all a great camera available on amazon.com.
  • Hi Chicagodan,

The Hikvision profile in SecuritySpy is a universal profile that works with both PTZ cameras and non-PTZ cameras, so by default the PTZ options are available. In the next update of SecuritySpy, I'll see if we can add a checkbox to specifically turn on/off PTZ for a profile, so that this can be eliminated if required, as you suggest.
  • Just picked up a hikvision DS-2DE4182-AE - and SecuritySpy sees it fine with the HikVision profile. The OnVIF one fails to see the stream at all.

But I'm seeing the same as Jonathan - the PTZ controls come up but do nothing.

Any hints?
  • I have 4 different models of HiKvision cameras and they all work great using the HiKvision option in security spy. They all run the same firmware. My vendor provided me the 5.1.6 beta version of their firmware which let's me set the color of the timestamp text on the OSD of the cameras. The same firmware file updated all 4 models. Two of the models have a bright spot in the IR center at night ( both bulletin cams )... The mini bullett and the mini dome I have do not have this issue with the IR. The new mini dome is my first dome camera and I am very impressed with it. It has a built in microphone and I am surprised at how well it works. This camera literally fits in the palm of my hand and has a 2.8 mm lens and gives a great view angle and excellent video night or day. I use it on a porch and the IR is sufficient for the distance involved. I still have a lot to learn as they give a lot of config options and I am hoping that the two bullets can be tuned to make the IR vision better. The pictures are good, it's just the bright spot at the center... In my backyard the camera points at a planter in the center and you get the impression that this plant glows like the burning bush at night. I wish the 3 dahua cameras at the other location I run security spy at were HiKvision instead. The Dahuas are also good and work well, but I'm more impressed with the HiKvision cameras.

I would love to have the option to hide the PTZ buttons.
    The models I am using are:

DS-2CD2532F-IS
    DS-2CD2032-I
    DS-2CD2632F-I
    DS-2CD2632F-IS
  • doodah - we are planning to add an option to remove the PTZ controls, I know it's a bit annoying that they are present when the camera doesn't actually support PTZ.

chris - PTZ has been tested with Hikvision cameras but not this particular model. The first thing to check is that you have supplied an admin username and password for the camera in the Video Device Settings window in SecuritySpy, as many cameras allow their live stream to be viewed with lesser access privileges but require admin access in order to control PTZ. If this doesn't work, would it be possible for you to put your camera online temporarily for us to test? This would be the easiest way for us to resolve this issue for you. Please email us if you are able to do this, or need instructions on how to do this.
  • Ben - just checked - I have configured using the admin account.

I'll get the device port forwarded for you ASAP (might be a day or so - got an iOS app deadline to hit) - I'll mail you the address once it's up.
  • Had any chance to look?
  • chris - sorry for the delay, I've been looking into this. So far I haven't managed to get this working unfortunately. No matter what I try the camera is rejecting the PTZ command. I've contacted Hikvision direct to ask about this and I'm awaiting their reply. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear back from them.

You mentioned that you can control the PTZ via the web interface, however I cannot seem to get this working either. What web browser are you using for this?
  • Firefox - mac - with the plugin from http://www.hikvision.com/en/download_more.asp?id=1192

Just checked - can still do it
  • Oh - and thanks for testing ;) Hope hikvision can come with an answer. Just sent you a short email with some more info.
  • Hi Chris. Thanks for that, it was very useful. No reply from Hikvision yet however analysing the plugin helped me to work it out. Please try the latest beta version of SecuritySpy - it has full PTZ support including preset positions and zoom. Please confirm.
  • Yes - it works in app.

If I enable the web component - choose the hikvision and ask for live view the app terminates - with the following:

Process: SecuritySpy [87912]
    Path: /Users/USER/Downloads/SecuritySpy.app/Contents/MacOS/SecuritySpy
    Identifier: com.bensoftware.SecuritySpy
    Version: 3.4.2b4 (3.0)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [182]
    Responsible: SecuritySpy [87912]
    User ID: 1747672883

Date/Time: 2014-09-01 19:14:30.359 +0200
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)
    Report Version: 11
    Anonymous UUID: 3395C9B5-5E53-1FDC-9773-CA157A6584AB

Sleep/Wake UUID: CF12EBFC-EA8A-4730-ACD5-7A836DB787ED

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

For full report see https://gist.github.com/chrissearle/49ac561db7ab1e530624
  • Hi Chris - sorry about that, this should be fixed in the new 3.4.2b5 version just added to the beta page (same link as above).

Please confirm.
  • No need to be sorry - that's what betas are for :)

And yes - confirmed also in the web client. Nice work Ben :)

• I am not sure if I am reading these postings correctly, but what I understand is that the latest SS beta has PTZ support for Hikvision cams? I just installed a DS-2CD2532F-I but I can't get PTZ to work. I use admin id and pw and the PTZ disable option is unchecked. Could you please clarify Ben please?
  • SecuritySpy does indeed have support for controlling PTZ for Hikvision cameras that have mechanical PTZ movement.

However the Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-I does not have mechanical PTZ - it's a fixed camera. This is why you won't be able to control PTZ from SecuritySpy.
  • I guess you right. I have fooled because looking at the cam, it does look like other PTZ cams I have. Doesn't look like a fixed cam, but I guess it is
  • Hi ggilpu, yes it does look a bit like a PTZ camera but looking at the camera's specifications on Hikvision's web site there is no mention of mechanical PTZ anywhere. I hope it's still OK for your purposes, or that you are able to return it for a different model if you need PTZ functionality.
  • I won't recommend the PTZ camera if you live in an area where it freezes, unless it's the heated unit. I live in Canada and it gets to -40 degrees and I wouldn't want to risk those gears shattering.
    I have however installed several dome and bullet cameras. Here are a couple videos which might help:
    Bullet Installation and setup:

See the inside of a dome camera on this dome Install video:

There are also several videos on my channel on setting up the motion detection and samples of daytime and night vision footage.
    Hope this answers some of your questions!!
  • I recently purchased three HikVision bullet cameras to see 4mm, 6mm, and 12mm lenses worked (model DS-2CD2032F-I via Amazon). Two cameras had 5.2.3 firmware, had good image quality (except in total darkness), and I could my way around their software bugs. One camera had 5.3 firmware and I couldn't change the IP address or change/hide of the 2004 default date stamp -- fortunately Amazon took it back and issued refund hours after I left it at United Parcel Service. Guess I'll need to check out some other cameras.

p.s., Security Spy got me past the 2004 date by allowing me to use their Settings > Camera Settings > Text Overlay feature. Many Thanks!

p.p.s., The 12mm lens allowed me to read car license plates pretty well if viewed somewhat perpendicular to the camera lens.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!