Camera recommendations
  • Hi,

I am looking for camera recommendations for a small retail store that would work well with SecuritySpy. I am a computer guy, but I am fairly new to the security camera field (I've done some reading online, but I don't know all that much about protocols and features used by various products). I am pretty certain that SecuritySpy is the right software for us to use, but I am having a bit of a hard time determining which cameras are supported and which would work the most seamlessly. I am not afraid to fiddle with settings. Still, the less fiddling a setup requires the better.

This will be an indoor setup with 2-3 cameras. The cameras should provide night vision, so that videos can be taken during the night should the need arise. The cameras need to have Wifi support.

Thanks a lot.

-Markus
  • Hi Markus, you've come to the right place :) We have some recommendations here and here (the latter is a bit more up to date), and we also have a full searchable list of compatible cameras.

For example, the Y-cam cube HD would seem to fit the bill perfectly. Y-cam make high-quality cameras, and these particular cameras have many more infra-red LEDs than others, providing good night-vision.

Connecting 2-3 cameras by WiFi should work just fine as long as they aren't too far from the access point, however I would say that if you can connect the cameras by wired ethernet instead you will get better performance and reliability. Using PoE cameras allows simple wiring and shouldn't be much more difficult to set up than WiFi cameras in a retail store environment. The above Y-camera models don't have PoE however there are many others that do.

Hope this helps.
  • Hi, New to this forum and software.
    I've purchased a new, recently released Dahua IPC-HFW4300S which is not on the list of cameras, and I was wondering if there is anything to be concerned about with software compatibility? Should I follow the same tips for other Dahua cameras models, or does the new Sony Chip create a new set of concerns?

Thank you for your time!
  • Hi Juan, I'm confident that this camera will work very well with SecuritySpy, even though we haven't officially confirmed its compatibility yet; every Dahua camera we have come across so far has worked.

Simply set it up on your network according to our instructions, and use the Dahua or the ONVIF profile in SecuritySpy. Please report back to confirm it works.
  • Thanks Ben, I expect it will arrive Jan 9th. I'll return with an update, and no doubt more questions. ;-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!