Green Means Ignore‽
  • Perhaps I'm an idiot, but I figured the green color of the motion detection mask meant "detect motion here." I was having trouble detecting obvious motion so I finally read the documentation on the subject and I found the green means "ignore motion here" and after such a reversal I believe I can make it work great. Just a heads-up.
  • Indeed, the green bit means "ignore motion here", sorry if this wasn't clear, and glad to hear you worked it out!
  • Thanks Ben. It looks like the dang spiders are getting the best of me. For the record, I would like to put in a feature request for scheduled sensitivity.

I would like to record continuously but turn the motion detection on or off with a schedule as well.
  • Hi - check out the Timed Motion Alerts discussion, were I outline a couple of ways to schedule different motion-detection settings using AppleScript.
  • Ben,

Yes I saw that thread previously. Thanks.

I read that petroleum jelly smeared on outdoor camera housings does a good job at repelling spiders.
  • CaliObserver - I was doing exactly the same thing - I must have missed that section in the manual - thanks for the correction!

Ben - Feature adjustment - how about changing the color mask to red - "no motion detection here"?
  • This has come up a few times. I'm not sure if a red colour would help because it could be construed as "red means that motion will be detected here". When designing this feature I thought that "mask", meaning "something that covers or hides", would make the meaning clear, but I can see why this is not necessarily the case. I'll see if I can put some text somewhere (e.g. in the mask menu in the Camera Settings window) that makes it clear that green means ignore.
  • OOOPPPPPSSSS - I've done exactly the same, green round my doors and windows, where's my rubber.......I guess reading the manual works.......

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!