Skip to content

Bandwidth ?

edited October 2013 in SecuritySpy
Hello,
I would like to set up a system in my house in Italy (in a remote location) and try to figure out how much bandwidth I would need to see online whats happening there. The setup should be just 3 cameras, 2 of them HD, one can be SD. My problem there is, that we have no wired phone line. I have to connect via 3G mobile phone connection, which does not work too good and upload speed varies. How can I calculate to see maybe 1 frame per second or every 2 seconds? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Hi Carlo, the best thing to do is have a look at some H.264 bandwidth calculators online (for example this one from IQeye, and see what bandwidth you get for 1fps video at the resolution of your cameras (1fps is usually the lowest-resolution video that cameras support).

Note though that many 3G internet connections don't provide you with a public IP address, in which case your system won't be accessible from the internet (check with your 3G provider about this).
  • Hi Ben,
    and thank you very much! The calculator helps a lot and your note about the public IP address is indeed very valuable.
    So if I understand right I will not be able to access the system and for example control the cameras (which actually should not be necessary), but SecuritySpy will still be able to upload the pictures constantly ? And what happens if the connection drops for some time? Will SecuritySpy pick up where it got "stuck", or will it continue with the live-feed?
    Excuse me if this was discussed before and if so, feel free to point me to the thread.
    Once again thank you!
    Carlo
  • BenBen
    edited October 2013
    Hi Claro,

You are correct that if the 3G connection doesn't give you a proper public IP address, you won't be able to connect to SecuritySpy over the internet from a remote location and access settings and live video.

Over any connection (3G or otherwise), you can use SecuritySpy's update image file on FTP server feature, which will be a semi-live image that is frequently updated, as a good alternative to true live viewing. If the connection drops for any time, SecuritySpy will simply continue uploading images when the connection reestablishes itself.

Hope this helps!