MacOSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and error codes -2003 and -8961, 'no codec'
  • If I set compression to MPEG-4 I get error code -2003, and if I set it to H.264 I get error code -8961 'no codec'. JPEG works fine, but that's an odd format. I tried everything, upgraded SecuritySpy to 3.0.4, deleted and reinstalled Quicktime 7, to no avail. By this time and after several e-mail me and my wife exchanged with Ben I know this is an OS error. But how do I fix it? This situation started after I changed my HD and performed a full, clean install of SNL. Unfortunately my iMac doesn't support later versions of the OS. Someone help me, please! Alberto
  • Hi Alberto,

This is not a known problem with any system version. My guess is that you might have some other video software installed that is conflicting such as perian or Flip4Mac or suchlike. Check your /Library/Components/ and /Library/QuickTime/ folders to see if there is anything there that is non-Apple, and also check the equivalent folders within your your folder (i.e. /users//Library/...).

The errors indicate that the MPEG-4 and H.264 components of QuickTime that SecuritySpy uses for its video compression are missing, however this doesn't seem to make sense if you are using a clean install of your system and have reinstalled QuickTime, so something odd is going on.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!