2-way audio
  • I know I'm on the far end of an edge case scenario here, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I don't have anything setup yet, I'm waiting for cameras to arrive (Hopefully worth the wait). The cameras I've selected don't do audio, which in general I'm OK with, but I also don't like any of the doorbell options out there, so I was considering either getting one camera with 2 way audio, or possibly getting a device that's 2 way audio only? I have no idea what that would look like or how/if it could be pulled into SS, but I figured I'd ask here first. Anyone have a 2 way audio solution that they'd endorse, either via a camera or some other cool solution that they've integrated into SS?
  • SecuritySpy currently supports two-way audio for Axis, Dahua, Hikvision and Amcrest cameras. We're also working on ONVIF two-way audio support, which should be added in the near future.

So the best solution at the moment would be to get a camera from one of the above manufacturers that offers two-way audio. A few models have a built-in microphone and speaker (e.g. AXIS M1065-L, Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW); others require you to add your own external microphone and speaker.

SecuritySpy doesn't support any non-camera audio devices (I have never seen a non-camera two-way audio device - the closest would be an Axis network speaker, but this doesn't have a microphone and SecuritySpy doesn't support this, at least yet).
  • Thanks @ben. In the short term, I grabbed one of the Hikvision doorbells. It looks like the models you linked to were both indoor units and I need something that can handle the weather. Hopefully a better option will present itself in the future.
  • Yes, the Hikvision doorbell should be a good solution, and as you say it's designed to be outside. Let me know how you get on with it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!