Dahua 1320s upgrade
  • I apologize in advance because I think there are a lot of questions around what camera is the best. Ben does a very nice job of supporting a large range of devices from various manufactures, as well as providing high level (top 10) cameras.

I use security spy at my home and currently have (2) Dahua 1320s cameras that I have been pleased with. I would like to add a 3rd and wanted to briefly evaluate the field to see if a different brand / model would make sense. The camera will be mounted outside under the eave (as are the others).

Is the Dahua 2831S a decent upgrade?

Brent
  • Hi Brent,

For outdoor bullet cameras, Dahua is a good brand to go for. I'm not sure exactly what models you mean here (perhaps IPC-HFW1320S and IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS?) but a Dahua bullet in the 4-8 MP range would be a good option. Hikvision also make some good outdoor bullets. Also check out Sharx - they are a bit more expensive, but their bullet cameras are top quality (due to better optical systems than the cheaper Dahua models).
  • Thanks Ben. You are correct on the 1320S model, and the other is the IPC-HFW2831S-S-S2. Appreciate your feedback and great application, been using Security Spy for several years now and works great.
  • Great to hear that SecuritySpy is working so well for you!

The IPC-HFW2831S-S-S2 looks like a good camera.

I'm not sure where you are located, but note that Dahua have different sets of products for different regions. If you are in the US or Europe, you will find many Dahua models on eBay and Amazon, with attractive prices, that are intended for the Chinese market only. These are referred to as "grey market" products - they will work fine, but if you purchase in a different region that the device was intended for, you won't get any support from Dahua nor any firmware updates in the future.

I can't tell whether the IPC-HFW2831S-S-S2 falls into this category, but it doesn't appear on the Dahua USA Web Site, so it could be. If you are concerned about this, a good US store to purchase from is B & H Photo Video.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!