RTSP Stream from a Raspberry Pi Manual Config Help
  • Hi Ben,

I'm attempting to connect an RTSP stream from a Raspberry Pi to SecuritySpy.

I have successfully configured a working stream from the Pi using instructions found here:

https://github.com/mpromonet/v4l2rtspserver/wiki/Setup-on-Pi

I am able to access this stream from the Mac where SecuritySpy is installed using VLC with the following URL. The stream works great, with around a 1-2 seconds lag.

rtsp://:8555/unicast

Unfortunately I can't get this to work in SS though. Could you help point out what I'm doing wrong please? These are the settings I'm using:

Address:
    RTSP Port: 8555
    (no username/pass)
    Profile: Manual configuration
    Format: RTSP (video and audio)
    Request: unicast

Many thanks,
    Paul.
  • Hmm, it appears this forum software removed text within arrow brackets.

The URL should show (now with brackets instead of arrow brackets)

rtsp://(IP of the PI):8555/unicast

Address: (IP of the Pi)
  • Sorry, I should have tried this earlier, but I ran Auto-detect profiles and it worked with the Xiaomi/Wyze profile!

What's even better is lag is barely half a second too! This is fantastic as it means I can utilise the four raspberry pi cameras dotted around the house in SecuritySpy (which means more money for you Ben!) :)
  • Good to hear you managed to get this working. I'm not sure why it didn't work with your manual setup, the RTSP request for the Wyze profile in SecuritySpy is just "unicast", which is the same as what you were using in the manual configuration you describe above. In any case, I'm glad it's working well.
  • Just for info in case anyone else is using the same RTSP streaming method from a Raspberry Pi that I linked to in my original post, you can change camera settings by issuing the following commands on the Pi:

Show available options:
    v4l2-ctl -l # summary of options (lowercase L)
    v4l2-ctl -L # detailed list of options

e.g. rotate the camera:
    v4l2-ctl -c rotate=180

To have any settings persist across reboots, put the commands into /etc/rc.local, before the exit 0 line. e.g.

# Print the IP address
    _IP=$(hostname -I) || true
    if [ "$_IP" ]; then
    printf "My IP address is %s\n" "$_IP"
    fi
    v4l2-ctl -c rotate=180
    exit 0

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!