Small site bug and feature request
  • I noticed that the online installation and user manuals have a "Web" link at the beginning pointing to https://securityspy.com, but this link doesn't seem to be working.

Could the text overlay placement options be increased to allow for top-middle and bottom-middle?

Cheers,
    Mike
  • Hi Mike,

Many thanks for pointing out the error. securityspy.com just forwards to bensoftware.com/securityspy, and this works for HTTP but apparently not HTTPS. I'll make sure this gets fixed.

As for your feature request, this should be possible, although no one else has requested this feature, so I don't think many other people would want it. Generally the corners are better, as there is less chance of obscuring any important footage. I'll see what we can do for a future update, but I can't promise anything due to the low priority.
  • Just as some background, I'm coming from EvoCam, where any number of text overlays could be created, and you could just drag them where you wanted them. I thought this was a good compromise, as I typically used an overlay at the top-center of the camera view, and I figured one at the bottom-center would keep things "balanced." It's by no means a deal-breaker, though. I'm just glad there's supported software that compares with EvoCam (if not surpassing it), esp. since it's been unsupported for some years, now.

By the way, reviewing the Web Server Specification, under "Live video," the table for viewMethods 3 and 4 say they're audio only. Shouldn't that read "video only?"

I appreciate the quick response.

Cheers,
    Mike
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for pointing out the error on the Web Server Specification page. In fact these formats used to be video-only but recent versions of SecuritySpy have added audio support, so I have fixed this info to say "video and audio".

Thanks for the additional background about the overlays, I'll see what we can do for a future update. My other comment on this is that it's always better to get the camera to add the overlays rather than SecuritySpy (as when SecuritySpy does it, the video has to be re-encoded). So check the camera's overlay settings to see if they meet your requirements. Of course, this only applies to IP cameras, not USB cameras (I'm not sure what you are using).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!