Half capture rate = captures movies same size?
  • I've been playing around with the Continuous Capture feature. I originally had the capture rate at 10fps and the resulting movie files were 1.36GB/hour. I then tried setting the capture rate to 5fps and yet the movie files stayed the same size. Why aren't the movie files approximately half the size? (And how can I get the movie files to be half the size?)
  • The frame rate of the video can only be changed if you have enabled the "Recompress video data" option under Preferences -> Cameras -> Device. However it is generally undesirable to do so, because this increases CPU usage and reduces video quality.

As it says in the user manual under Preferences -> Cameras -> Continuous Capture:

"Movie capture - Capture rate
    This is the rate at which to capture frames to the movie (leave empty for the maximum rate). Note however that if the incoming video is in MPEG-4, H.264 or H.265 format, and you have chosen not to recompress the video (see the Device settings), SecuritySpy will be unable to change the frame rate of the video, and it will therefore be recorded at whatever rate is being supplied by the camera."

So, if you want to capture continuously at 5fps then the best solution is to set your camera to stream video to SecuritySpy at 5fps, and leave the "Recompress video data" option turned off.
  • I actually had been doing 20fps from the camera that generated the 1.36GB/hour. I reduced the camera to 15fps and expected to see a 25% drop in the file sizes, but they're still 1.36GB. Why?

I didn't change any settings in SecuritySpy. It is NOT recompressing video.
  • In that case, it sounds like the camera may be set to CBR (Constant Bit Rate) encoding. Instead, change the camera's encoding to VBR (Variable Bit Rate) with a medium-high quality setting. Does that do it?
  • The camera is set to variable bit rate. I tried changing the Video Quality to Medium, but it made no noticeable difference. In the Camera Info window, the Data Rate for the one camera I changed to Medium isn't significantly different from the other cameras that are still on Highest. For example:

Front Porch: 386 Kbps
    Front: 377 Kbps ---------- This is the one on Medium quality
    Driveway: 354 Kbps
    Back: 396 Kbps

These vary a bit +/- over time.

For reference, the complete video settings are:

The cameras are set as follows:
    * Stream type: Main Stream (Normal)
    * Video Type: Video Stream
    * Resolution: 2688 x 1520
    * Bitrate Type: Variable
    * Video Quality: Medium
    * Frame Rate: 15fps
    * Max Bitrate: 3072 Kbps
    * Video Encoding: H.265
    * H.265+: Off
    * Profile: Main Profile
    * I Frame Interval: 40
    * SVC: OFF
    * Smoothing: 50

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!