Skip to content

Synology Virtual Machine support?

edited March 2020 in SecuritySpy
Just curious, has anyone been able to set up a MAC OSX VM under Synology NAS to run Security Spy? Asking for a friend......

Thank you!!

Comments

• Hi @plumtuckered, I'm sure you're already aware, but just in case...

Part 2, Section I of the macOS EULA:
    I. Other Use Restrictions. The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. Except as otherwise permitted by the terms of this License or otherwise licensed by Apple: (i) only one user may use the Apple Software at a time, and (ii) you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be run or used by multiple computers at the same time. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software.

--

Even if you were to successfully hack macOS onto a VM compatible with Synology's hypervisor the performance would be horrendous, there would be no driver support (like that which helps macOS virtualize well in VMware Fusion, for example), and there would (likely) be no hardware acceleration for SS to take advantage of.
  • Interesting idea, but I have to agree with @cstout - this would be difficult/impossible/illegal and just wouldn't work well.