Feature Request: Provide a toggle to ignore the server header in the iOS app
  • Hi there,

    I recently changed my internet provider to an IPv6 only one, thus my SecurityWeb server is now accessible via IPv6 only. To overcome this, I want to setup a NGINX proxy on an external server listening to IPv4. Unfortunately, the iOS app seems to check the server header to contain "BBSV/5.0", but NGINX is not allowing to change the value easily.

    Would it be possible that a settings switch (e.g. in the native iOS settings area) will be introduced to disable this check? It would be so handy! :)

    Cheers,
    Thomas
  • Hi Thomas,

    Sorry but the SecuritySpy iOS app needs this value in order to identify the server type and version.

    I'm surprised that the proxy doesn't pass through this header as-is, this should be the expected behaviour. If it's not doing this, there could be an option you can configure to tell it to do so.

    Otherwise, SecuritySpy's web server and iOS app does support IPv6, so you don't necessarily need a proxy for this. The only thing that doesn't support IPv6 that is relevant here is the viewcam.me DDNS system. We're planning to add this at some point in the future, but for now you could use an alternative DDNS system that does support IPv6 perhaps. Or, if your ISP is giving you a static IPv6 address (rather than dynamic) then you can simply use your IPv6 address to connect.
  • Hi Ben,

    Thanks for your fast response. Yes, IPv6 works perfectly, but not from networks running the „old“ IPv4 only. I will see, if I could fix this somehow. Using an alternative header (like „X-Server“) wouldn‘t be an option for you (looking with eyes you can‘t resist...)?

    Cheers,
    Thomas
  • Hi Thomas,

    Good point about connecting from IPv4-only networks.

    There must be a solution for this in the proxy. I'm afraid it doesn't make sense for us to change the current mechanism (which would require updates of all our apps and prevent backwards compatibility) just for this edge case.
  • Hi Ben,

    I finally managed to change the header by compiling NGINX myself. Maybe introducing the new header as an additional one would allow the older versions to function and the newer versions just look for both headers.

    But from my point of view, it is fine now.
  • Hi Ben,

    I think I found an issue with the iOS app coming from my setup:

    My external port is 443, but the internal port of SecuritySpy is 8001. The issue comes up when I connect from external (setup is done with the external host and using the 443 port) to my WiFi where the app recognizes that it can reach SecuritySpy listening on 8001. It switches to the internal IP and port (which is absolutely fine) but when I leave my network it then tries to connect to the external host with the same port - which is not working, of course. I verified that it loses the configured port right during the first connect (I think SecuritySpy is reconfiguring this), but stays connected until the app is killed.

    Cheers,
    Thomas
  • Hi Ben,

    I managed to handle the issue, but maybe you want to address it by yourself. But again, this is fine for me. :)

    Cheers,
    Thomas
  • Hi Thomas,

    Great to hear you found the solution to the NGINX problem.

    Thanks for reporting the port issue - we are aware of this and currently looking into it, and we hope to fix it for the next update. For now, you can fix it by using the standard port 8001 for external access.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!