Masked Out Area will triggering vehicles
  • I’ve masked out the street completely in green, yet cars still trigger motion clips.
  • It could be vehicle shadows cast into unmasked areas.

I have a similar issue with people.
  • Yes, shadows could be the cause here. If not, please email us and include some screenshots to demonstrate.
  • If I understand correctly, you have to select "Recompress video data from this device" in order for video masking to work? Its better to do it in the camera if you can.
  • There are two masks and there may be some confusion here between them:

- Motion mask: this is configured via Preferences -> Cameras -> Triggers and determines which areas of the frame are ignored for the purposes of motion detection. Recompression is not required for this.

- Video blanking mask: this is configured via Preferences -> Cameras -> Setup and determines areas of the frame to erase by drawing black pixels. This DOES require recompression, as it requires SecuritySpy to edit the image data.
  • Presumably if I wanted to prioritise video quality I should avoid all the settings which force recompression (blanking mask, codecs other than H264, others?).

Are there any scenarios which would force SS to recompress more than once?
  • Yes that's correct - for optimum performance and video quality you should avoid recompression. SecuritySpy will give you a warning if you enable any setting that requires recompression (blanking mask and text overlay).

There is no circumstance that requires SecuritySpy to recompress more than once.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!