Security Spy Monitoring
  • I have 2 licensed SS installations. I use a third unlicensed installation to aggregate and view cameras from the other 2. Is there a way that audible motion alarms from the 2 licensed SS installations can be heard on the 3rd machine ? If not, is there some other method to transmit said audibles to a location removed from the 2 licensed servers ? Thank You.
  • Perhaps I misunderstood, but I though that an unlicensed SS implementation could be used to view licensed systems. If that is not the intent, I would ask if there is a method via which alarms (audibles for now) could be transmitted to some remote site (away from, in this case) my 2 licensed implementations of SS. (Yes, I know I could mike them to an intercom but that's not what I was hoping :). Thank You.
  • An unlicensed SecuritySpy instance is indeed designed for viewing licensed systems, but for live video only. Sounding an alarm is an Action, and Actions cannot be armed on an unlicensed instance.

Are the Macs in question on the same local network (i.e. connected by WiFi or Ethernet)? If so, then it would be easy to create an AppleScript to do what you want. If they are not on the same local network then it's not going to be easy to work out a way to do this. Let me know and I can provide further details.
  • Yes, the Macs are all on the same network and subnet connected by ethernet cable. Further details regarding AppleScript would be appreciated. The monitoring (unlicensed) installation is in my office from which I cannot hear the other machines when they generate an alert. Thank You.
  • OK, here's one way to do it:

On the the monitoring Mac (the one where you want the alarm to sound), go to the Sharing System Preference and enable the "Remote Apple Events" option. At the top of this window, it shows you a local address for accessing the Mac, for example "iMac.local" - make a note of this.

Again on the monitoring Mac, open Script Editor and make a script that will act as your alarm, for example:

do shell script "afplay '/System/Library/Sounds/Sosumi.aiff'"
        say "Motion detected"

Save this as an application, for example in your Documents folder - for example, you can call it "alarm.app".

On the SecuritySpy computer, open Script Editor and make a script as follows:

tell application "Finder" of machine "eppc://iMac.local"
            open ("/Users/xxx/Documents/alarm.app" as POSIX file)
        end tell

Make sure to put in the actual user name of the monitoring Mac instead of xxx in the above script, and make sure to put in the actual local address of the monitoring app that you made a note of above.

Then, save this as a script to the ~/SecuritySpy/Scripts/ folder, and set this script to run as an Action in SecuritySpy.
  • Those scripts look great. Hopefully I'll be working with them over the holiday weekend as time allows. As a note, if I were to buy a full license for the remote (unlicensed) machine therefore activating it, would the the alerts, audible alarms, the excellent red screen highlights and other events be relayed automatically without need for additional scripting ? Thank You.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!