Camera settings - optimal for external vehicle monitoring
  • What are your optimal settings? I appreciate we have different cameras, but many of the clones use similar hardware and software. I use two iGeek 1080p IP cameras running on WiFi monitoring the road. Software interface is generic Safari viewed, Chinese "IP Software". No instructions. Over time I have determined the settings are not as you'd expect. Here are my current settings optimised to enable number plates to be read. (but not relying too much on IR - plates are not recognisable in any IR mode images anyway)

IP Software settings:
    Brightness, Gamma, Sharpness all at default
    WDR: = OFF
    Aemode: = AUTO
    Imgmode: = Illuminance (can't see difference between Frame Rate and Illuminance)
    IR LED Control: = ON
    Shutter: (1-10000) = 50 (default is 10000, but I deduce this is a max shutter level, 50 gives sharper, frozen stills)
    IRCut: (1-1024,the late value,the greater the switching time) = 150 stops switching too early at dusk, and prevents switching from IR to colour when headlights overexpose
    Noise: (0-100,Lower according to the work) = 0

Video Settings:
    Video format: 50Hz
    Video Coding: highprofile (I record to a iMac)
    First stream  Resolution: 1920x1080
    Bit rate: kbps (32-8192) = 1000
    Maximum frame rate: = 8 fps (balance between sharp images and reactiveness)
    Key frame interval: (2-150) =16
    Bit rate control:  VBR
    Image quality: = 1 (best)
    Audio Off

In Security Spy I have used:
    H.264 RTSP
    Motion Capture (masked):
    One movie per event, 8fps, PreCap 1, Post Cap 1
    Still Cap: Freq:1 Post Cap:1

Scheduled Sunrise -60 mins to Sunset +60 mins

Observations:
    I get good images but would prefer the motion capture has a pre-capture setting for stills.
    IR over auto-exposes due to the huge amount of distant darkness in frame so plates are washed out.

Has anyone any comments? Comparison settings? Suggestions for tweaks?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!